• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Duron 600 needs a cold beer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikee55

Registered
Hi all,I have a Jetway v266b mobo with a Duron 600 (old I know)2x256 DDR,80Gb c drive and 160Gb slave,SB 24bit Live,MSI AGP card,Kworld pvr capture(Machine to slow to record-I don't bother much).I'm having a hard time getting my temperature down.I have Winbond Hardware Doctor installed,and its telling me that the CPU is running idle at 40C and System Temp is 33C.I have an 80mm fan on a reducer adapter to the cpu heatsink.The PSU is exhausting cold air,I thought this would be warm air.Ambient room Temp is 26C.I have extra fans but am not sure where best to fit one.I did try one at the front of my case.It has provision for two fans side by side on the case chassis,but the plastic front has no vents,apart from a slot underneath which also there is a door for USB and Audio connection.Also on the front in front of the fans is the on/off switch,reset and leds.I have placed a fan on the side more or less in line facing the cpu,but when switched on causes the System Temp to rise by 1 degree.Would a fan behind the cpu on the other side of the case,blowing at the CPU, help or should I try to modify the front panel?If I take off the side panel and blast the mobo with a 9" office fan,I get a System Temp of 25C and a CPU of 31C. Pc's fast but because it sits under the kitchen table as a media surfing machine,my 2 year old is inquisitive and can't help but touch anything electrical or has a wire on it,(bit like me).Can you please help?

Your temps sound fine from your software. If your PSU is exhausting cool air, your machine is lightly loaded, and Duron 600s that are not OCed are not exactly house furnaces. One thing you can do to put your mind at ease is to feel the heatsink. If it's cool or warm to the touch, it's generally doing its job. If it's hot to the point you can't keep your fingers on it more than a few seconds, then it's running hot.

If your temps are creeping upwards of 60C (since Durons don't have on die thermal diodes), it'd also be a sign of possible overheating, especially if software starts to frequently crash. If not, it's probably ok.

Fan at the bottom front is good, also if you want you can do a case mod and put a fan on the side, and have it blow air directly on the cpu (or directly away if you prefer).

My first rig was a Duron 650 - even overclocked to 700-750MHz at stock voltage it only ran into max 45C. Anything up to 60C should be ok - I run a pair of XPs at 55-60C on a daily basis.

Best place for an extra fan would be under the PSU as an exhaust on the rear of the case. With a bit of tweaking that Duron should hit 800 to 1000MHz btw ;)

PS Welcome to the forums :)

I think those temps are fine, but if you are really woried about your temps:
Yes, a small right under your cpu will help, if you have the money; buy a good HSF (this will work best to get the temps down)You should se artic silver 5 as TIM. And if you'd mod the fan (the one somewhat above HSF) to run slower, directly to the cpu (mounted above it, or using an air duct) you'd get better temps. It needs to run slower, so the air stream created by that fan won't interfere with the airstream from HSF.

you could add an exhaust on the top of you case where alot of air gets trapped, or, what I did, was put a fan on the other side of the case under the mobo. Mine blows through the tray and pushes cool air under the mobo. It suprisingly makes a big difference

I got a 600 Duron at 933 running at 50C load and I don't give it a second thought. I only wish all my computers stayed this low under load.

Back