Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

cylinder res

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 10:15 AM Thread Starter   #1
Speedmonkay

cylinder res

I'm interested in making my own Cylinder Res. Not a small internal one like Niksub1 has made but a big external one. I dont want a cheapie ghetto PVC pipe res. But Im also not looking for anything that has to be machines because I dont have access to CNC machines or anything like that.
I have never done it before so Im looking for advice.

1. What are good materials that are fairly easy to work with ?
2. Where is a reasonably priced place to get these materials ?
3. Any special tools/blades needed or special way to cut these materials ?
4. Any special drill bits needed or special way to drill holes in the materials ?

I'm not sure what size I was going to make it but at least 3-4 feet tall.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Speedmonkay; 06-13-06 at 10:26 AM.
Speedmonkay is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-13-06, 10:26 AM   #2
jamesavery22

Think you should give more info on your req's of the res. first.

Namely does it have to be clear and how are you planning on mounting/standing it.

edit---------

If it has to be clear then this stuff is what I've seen recommended in the past:
Polycarbonate Tubes
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=276&

Just do the research for what type of epoxy you should use. IIRC it has to be a specific type.

Last edited by jamesavery22; 06-13-06 at 10:41 AM.
jamesavery22 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-13-06, 10:53 AM   #3
da_pipe
Registered

da_pipe is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-13-06, 11:13 AM Thread Starter   #4
Speedmonkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesavery22
Think you should give more info on your req's of the res. first.

Namely does it have to be clear and how are you planning on mounting/standing it.

edit---------

If it has to be clear then this stuff is what I've seen recommended in the past:
Polycarbonate Tubes
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=276&

Just do the research for what type of epoxy you should use. IIRC it has to be a specific type.
Clear would be cool .. a colored plastic would be cool too ....
I wasnt going to be TOO particular about that .... I was just worried mostly about working with it
Old 06-13-06, 11:27 AM   #5
jamesavery22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmonkay
Clear would be cool .. a colored plastic would be cool too ....
I wasnt going to be TOO particular about that .... I was just worried mostly about working with it
Gluing the plastic should be your main concern. Polycarbonate comes in different colors. I think "natural" is a whitish. Clear is more expensive. Polycarb is recommended for its strength. I dont know what plastic is decently strong and easy to glue. Polycarb might not need too special of an adhesive, but I dunno

Old 06-13-06, 12:15 PM   #6
sir_pyro

You said you dont want "crappy PVC pipe", but what do you say about clear PVC? US Plastics and McMaster both carry it, and it wont require any special tools other then a hack saw, some glue, and the correct size drill bits/taps to install your fittings (probably a 1/4" NTP tap with the drill bit it suggest on the side of it). You can also just buy the fittings for the top/fill port and bottem so you dont have to go through the hassle of trying to make something your self. I made part of the res in my chiller out of it, and it looks fairly good.
sir_pyro is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-13-06, 01:26 PM Thread Starter   #7
Speedmonkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pyro
You said you dont want "crappy PVC pipe", but what do you say about clear PVC? US Plastics and McMaster both carry it, and it wont require any special tools other then a hack saw, some glue, and the correct size drill bits/taps to install your fittings (probably a 1/4" NTP tap with the drill bit it suggest on the side of it). You can also just buy the fittings for the top/fill port and bottem so you dont have to go through the hassle of trying to make something your self. I made part of the res in my chiller out of it, and it looks fairly good.
Clear PVC ??? Wow ... I am so used to the ugly white with blue writing PVC piping.
My list of stuff is growing ...
Im going to check McMaster and US Pastics
I really like the colored acrylics tubes @TAP PlasticsI and the price aint too bad either.
Old 06-13-06, 11:25 PM   #8
Bender
Mysteriously Changing Senior

10 Year Badge

I just built a tiny res out of 1.5" OD clear polycarbonate. McMastercarr is a great place to get the materials you need. Here is a picture of the polycarbonate before I cut it.

It comes in lengths up to 6' Yeah they also have shop sized J-B weld!!!

2GB Crucial Ballistix
ATI X1650
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
SilverStone Zeus ST56ZF 560w
Soyo 24" LCD
Bender is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-06, 03:11 PM Thread Starter   #9
Speedmonkay

Im thinking of going with one of the Flourescent Green acrylic tube from TAP Plastics
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=143&
Ill get a cast acrylic circle for the base and top. Some good ol IPS Weld On #3 should do the trick to get all that to stick together.

Now I was thinking of making it have a whirlpool effect. If I put the inlet at the top of the water more to a side (as opposed to being centered on the tube) and angle it down some, you think that would give me a decent whirl effect ? Shouldnt be too hard to drill that either, right ?

Is there any special drilling technique for drilling Acrylic ? Any special bits ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop