• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kk266 volt mod (attn: docter)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunter00

i got your thing in the mail today thanks a lot!

but . . . i'm kinda confused about how it works, how exactly does it replace the need to solder? and could you point me to a volt mod that i could use it with, a lot of them seem to require multiple soldering points. gracias.

I'm here, don't worry! :)

It appears that your IWill KK266 uses the same HIP6301 voltage controller chip, as my Shuttle does, so the mod will essentially be the same. The link I provided in the "Get Your Volt Mods Here" thread for the KK266 is a little more involved than you need for a basic mod.

You should go by the mod I wrote, and follow it exactly, as if youre mobo is the Shuttle. The only difference is that on your mobo, the HIP6301 chip is directly to the left of the AGP slot. It will be labled with those numbers.

You will need to pull the top off that Grabber, and solder a wire to it. The other end of the wire will need to be soldered onto the center terminal of the 47K-ohm potentiometer. With one of the ouside terminals of the pot soldered to a wire, that is connected to any screw that holds your mobo to the case (ground). The grabber will clip onto pin #7 on the HIP6301, as in the picture I provided.

Just go by the link to the mod I wrote, and make sure that the pot is set to MAXIMUM resistance before you reboot.

Good luck, it's easier than it sounds :)

Doctor

okay im getting together all my materials so i can do this mod on monday in my physics research lab, so time for my final questions.

i'm almost sure i understand everything, just a couple of gaps.

first . . . by the middle of the three things on the 47k pot you are talking about the one that is by itself right? (as opposed to the side with the pair of them)?

next . . . i'm not positive about what you mean by the second part of the soldering onto the pot. i connect the clip and the pot right, and then on the other side of the pot what exactly do i do?

i get that this part is the ground, so do i solder a wire to that side of the pot and to a "terminal connector" and then attach that to a mobo mount? i went to radioshack when i picked up my 47k pot and they couldn't figure out what a terminal connector is, could you give me a part number at radioshack or something?

also in what you wrote here in the forums, it seems like you dont need a terminal connector at all, do i just solder the wire to the pot and to a mobo mount? and how would i connect a terminal connector to a mobo mount if i do need a terminal connector?

thanks for all your help!

You could solder the ground connection from the pot to a motherboard mount and skip the use of a spade lug or loop. You could also just make a loop in the wire with a touch of solder.

To make things feel familiar, use the center and left terminals on the trimmer, viewed from the back with the pins down. This way full resistance is full counterclockwise. Dialing up the voltage will be turning the trimmer the same direction as the volume control on your HiFi.

With the KK266, you may want to do the stage two mod to increase your Vcore. I doubt that the Pin 7 only version will get you past 2.14 volts.

Here are my instructions for boards that use the Intersil HIP6301.

K7G specifics:

You may want to use a 100k pot between Pin 7 and ground. This will allow you to return the board to stock voltage. A 47k pot will cause the board to boot at around 2.0 volts.

The mod is the same as the KT7 series except for the change in trimmer value for Pin 7. With 47k between ground and Pin 7, the board will boot at about 2 volts. Using a 100k trimmer allows the board to boot at normal voltage and obviously makes it possible to reverse the mod by dialing the Pin 7 and Pin 10 trimmers back to full resistance.
KT7 series, KK266, etc:

Solder wires to Pin 7 and Pin 10 of the IC that controls the voltage to the CPU. Put a 47k trimmer (49 cents at Radio Shack part # 271-283) between Pin 10 and ground. Put a 100k trimmer (271-284) between Pin 7 and ground. You can add a 1k trimmer (271-280) in series with the 100k trimmer if you would like to make it easier to fine tune the voltage. Use a spade lug or loop under a motherboard mounting screw for your ground connection. For convenience I suggest you mount the trimmers on a piece of breadboard and secure it to your motherboard tray with Velcro.

Pin 7 controls the voltage, Pin 10 controls maximum voltage threshold. Turn the trimmers to full resistance boot your PC and start VIA Hardware Monitor. Set the polling interval to 2 seconds and slowly dial up the Pin 7 trimmer until the screen blanks. Your PC will probably reboot when the screen blanks. Note the voltage and back it off a tad while the computer reboots. Then dial up the Pin 10 trimmer until your screen blanks and back it off a tad. Go back into VIA Hardware Monitor and dial the Pin 7 trimmer up to 2.3 volts. You may be able to go higher but I don’t recommend it.

Caution this will stress your cooling. Be careful or your CPU could end up a crispy critter. I also suggest buying a third hand device from Radio Shack to hold a pre-tinned wire to the IC leg while you solder. The magnifying glass on the third had will come in handy too. Get in and out fast so you don’t toast the IC. Lay off the caffeine and if you are of age, have a beer a half hour before soldering to steady your hands.

Be sure to tie your wires down to the board. A dollop of five minute epoxy works well for this. After doing several boards, I finally screwed one up. The mod went fine but I snagged the wire to Pin 10 on the end of my workbench and ripped the IC pin right off the board.

Note the pic of the solder points is of a KT7 series board.

Solder Points Pic

Last edited:
okay thanks for the help.

i guess ill just solder the ground wire from the 47k pot straight to the mobo mount.

i only have one clip thing so i can only do one stage of the volt mod, but 2.15 volts would be amazing!

also, wouldn't turning the pot all the way to one side cause no resistence, making the voltage default (i.e. whatever you set in cmos), at least that is how i seem to comprehend exactly what i am doing with this volt mod.

Pots have three pins and two directions. The center pin is common. Viewed from behind with the pins down, the left pin will give you full resistance with the pot turned fully counterclockwise, the right pin will give you full resistance with the pot turned fully clockwise.

hunter,
Think of a pot as a long piece high resistance wire with a terminal on each end (the two outside terminals) .If you had another piece of wire (the center terminal) and touched it to the long wire, the resistance between the center wire and the outside terminals would be proportional to the distance between them. If the wire were moved towards the left, there would be less resistance between the center and left terminals and more between the center and the right terminal. No matter where you put the wire, the resistance between it and either end terminal will depend on the resistance between these terminals.

Now if you bend the resister wire in a circular shape with a gap between each end and put it in a case with an external terminal sticking out each from end, you have part of a pot. Now if you put in a means of moving the wire (a screw slot, or a shaft on bigger pots) and connect it to a terminal (the one between the other two) you have a pot.

Imagine what is happening when you rotate the wire - you are rotating it towards one end and lowering resistance between the wire (center terminal) and the end. If you rotate it all the way in one direction there will be no resistance between the center terminal and the one you moved it towards but maximum resistance between the center terminal and the terminal you rotated it away from.

Some only have one end terminal (called a variable resistor) but most have two as I described. They have the two terminals so you can have the resistance either increase or decrease when you turn it in any one direction.

Another way of looking at it - hook up the either wire on the center terminal and the other wire on either outer terminal. If you have to turn it in the opposite direction then you would like, just swap the outer wire to the other outer terminal. You can hook up either wire to any terminal as long as you don’t put them both on outer terminals. Even if you did that, you would not hurt anything - you would just have a constant resistance.

Excuse me for being so long winded, I used to be teacher. :D

hunter00 said:
i gots it now.

but ummm...so that means i can just solder it straight to a mobo mount right?:rolleyes:

Yes, one of the terminals of the pot will be soldered to a wire, and the end of that needs to be connected to ground. A mobo mounting screw is a good spot for ground. You can solder a "U" shaped connector to the end of the wire to keep it neat, if you like.

Doctor

well doc my electronics research teacher soldered it all together and instructed me on what to do, so i'm hoping to try it out in a day or two.

my teacher thinks im going to kill my mobo so i kinda have to prove him wrong :D

thanks a lot!

hunter00 said:
well doc my electronics research teacher soldered it all together and instructed me on what to do, so i'm hoping to try it out in a day or two.

my teacher thinks im going to kill my mobo so i kinda have to prove him wrong :D

thanks a lot!

You are very welcome! :)

Just make sure that the pot is set to MAXIMUM resistance before you boot up, and you should be OK!

Good luck,

Doctor

DOCTOR!!

It's in, vcore 2.05 and still under 40 idle, about 45 stressed!!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Once I put in my watercooling I'll pump it even higher:D

I love you Doc, can't wait to start ocing this sucker some more!

Back