• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the 7700cu AM2 compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fangs404

I'm thinking about picking it up (I have the ASRock SATA2 mobo sitting on my bed waiting for a HSF). Ideally, I'd like to pick up a HSF that I can use for a future AM2 rig (near the end of summer, probably). I can't imagine the extra pin would make a difference (the CPU itself doesn't change sizes). Would the mounting bracket be affected? If it's not AM2 compatible, does anyone have any good recommendations for something that is? All the specs in my sig are still valid as of right now, so feel free to suggest a Thermalright that doesn't come with a fan. Thanks!!

I don't think the CNPS7700 will work actually; MadShrimps Tested It (along with many others) and found it won't fit the AM2 bracket unless you or Zalman can make some kind of a custom bracket. Otherwise, I would suggest the Thermalright Ultra-90 or Zalman CNPS9500-AM2. But between the two, I would probably get the Ultra-90 because it is very reasonably priced and the CNPS9500-AM2 is way overpriced (in my opinion).

I believe this Thermalright Mounting bracket may help with your heatsink so long as it mounts using the standard RM's two lug tabs.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I wound up picking the 7700cu up last night, and I'm loving it. When it comes time to migrate over to AM2 (or hell, if the Conroe is all it's cracked up to be, maybe an LGA775 rig), I'll keep these in mind. :)

that mounting bracket RevA from Thermalright will NOT make the 7700 fit on AM2...

Fangs404 said:
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I wound up picking the 7700cu up last night, and I'm loving it. When it comes time to migrate over to AM2 (or hell, if the Conroe is all it's cracked up to be, maybe an LGA775 rig), I'll keep these in mind. :)
You should still be able to use that CNPS7700 on the Intel LGA775 :thup:

Back