• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

I am have some problems with my connection to my ISP and have tried everthing. According to my ISP there are no problems, have had phone company out and the line is fine, have tried different modems/routers have swapped filters, swapped all cables and still the problem occurs(i get random connection drops and packet lose in game).

Just had a thought that maybe i have a problem with the ethernet ports on the mobo!!! could this be the case?
I have a ASUS A8N premium sli board with 2 ethernet ports. one is Marvell Yukon and the other i think is a nvidia networking one. firstly does it matter which one i use? also is it worth updating the drivers for them? I can find a driver for the Marvell one but not the nvidia one(any ideas where i can get that from?) secondly any other suggestions to try and find the route of my problem

Last edited:
killermiller said:
you can check with you neighbors to see if thier connection drop too. Otherwise it sounds like you have it covered.

i hav'nt got any......lol.

It's possible that the onboard NIC is bad, but improbable, especially it's only intermittent packet loss. Have you asked your ISP if it's maybe the wires leading to you.

It doesn't matter which NIC you use, both should workü. You can get the Nvidia driver from nvidia.com as part of the big "platform/nforce drivers" package.

This is the type of situation where a network monitoring system really helps out, but for the home user it tends to be overkill. JFFNMS is a good quick & dirty NMS, OSSIM is much better. Both are total overkill here. Perhaps you can find someone who has one and can target you, but still it won't be as reliable as you monitoring the router, gateway, and sites a few hops out from there.

Try both ports with latest drivers and then try a xbox, pc, laptop, or somthing if it doesn't work.

Hey man...I had the same problem for the last month and today the tech came out, tried a new modem and neither of us thought it would work...but viola...no disconnects since it was put it. I suggest you try that. I have comcast for the record, not sure about you.

Back