• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which application for web development?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

i'm going to be making a lot of web pages in the future, and i want them to look good. i've been looking into dreamweaver, but i'm not so sure about it. are any of the adobe applications more robust? if possible, i'd like to have built in capabilities for pop out navbars. an intuitive interface is definately a plus. any suggestions?

My advice is to just code them and stay away from WYSIWYG editors. On linux I use bluefish, which has nice syntax highlighting and features, and windows, dreamweaver is good is you just use it to look at the code.

Making a lot of websites does nothing for you, if you don't learn anything from it. You should use a simple text editor, and preview it in your web browser. Then, once you know how to code HTML and CSS in your sleep, then you could and use a WYSIWYG editor like Nvu.

Dreamweaver is good but the difference between that or using just a simple text editor (including those that have color markup) is the fact that Dreamweaver costs money and is supported. Support might not mean a lot to most people but there are a lot of plugins and code snippets you can download for Dreamweaver that make the job easier. Having Dreamweaver handle all of the JavaScript is definitely worth it. More importantly, if you are doing freelance work, you should have a licenced version of some software recognized by your clients. There's plenty of arguments against buying something, but it's more about professionalism, and such software can be helpful when developing A LOT of different websites.

Back