• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

boot.ini troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Hey all, I have 2 HDD's and a couple of partitions on each of them. Basicly I jumped through hoops while installing windows so I could get the C: drive to be windows, and the D: drive to be the first partition of the non-OS HDD since all my music shortcuts and everything else pointed there.

Anyway, when I boot up now, I can only get into windows if I have the windows CD in the drive, and let it go through the "press any key to boot from CD" but I don't touch anything then it boots up fine...if I dont' have the windows CD in the drive then it hangs when trying to boot from HDD.

My config is:
1 raptor, 2 partitions, OS on one games on the other
1 160gb drive, 3 partitions, media, program installs and temp

anyway, I want to change the boot.ini so I boot up without having the CD in there. The reason it's messed up is because I had to install with just the raptor in, and the disk order got messed up when I added the second HDD.

How do I tell which disk is 0 or 1 and which partition is 0 or 1 (or 1 or 2 whatever partitions use).

Then once I figure that, what does my boot.ini need to be, it currently is:
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I would go into windows and install Partition magic. then use it to change t
he driver letters, then id reinstall onto the c:\ that you want.

you can also try this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

the rdisk is the ordinal number which is the number of the disk from 0-3, you will want your boot drive or primary drive to be 0

make sure that the right partition on the correct drive has the bootable flag set. Make sure your bios is set to boot to the correct drive.

I would think that your boot.ini has to be correct in the first place or the system would not boot at all.

You might want to try fixboot and fixmbr under the recovery console.

Back