• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phpBB, IPB or vBulletin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrome-

I plan on creating a forum on my website with either phpBB, IPB or vBulletin, but I can't decide which one I should choose. Is there a comparison table somewhere? Or other information regarding all of these forum softwares?

Well it depends on how deep your pockets are. Having used phpBB extensively, IPB fairly extensively, and vBulliten somewhat extensively, I can say that my fav is IPB. ITs just more lively and clever than vBulliten, and I think this has to do with the fact that IPB is a little smaller than vBulliten (or Jellsoft, sorry). And I think IPB is cheaper too. Plus, their support is great. I called them up one time and the chick on the phone was great!

However, if you want something quick, cheap and effective, phpBB isn't really all that bad. It just doesn't seem to get too many updates, or didn't way back when.

ive just done a forum with phpbb. i did it in about 3 hrs. permissions and all. check it out at |n0clan|.

btw, this is the first forum ive ever made.........

I am sure this is a little late, but the phpBB dev team has finally released the phpBB 3 beta 1. I am planning on doing a forum once phpBB 3 is complete (no point of starting one using 2.2.x then having to upgrade in a month or so...

Theres a couple free forum hosts that use IPB and phpBB so you could compare the two. I like IPB myself. Think its about $160. Also theres Simple Machines Forums software which is free. But I think its kinda wierd.

i'm a fan of vbulletin myself. it is sorta pricey though, $160 for a lifetime license plus $30/yr for access to updates.

Also, if I were to go with phpBB, how vulnerable would my forum be to SQL injections and other things? I hear a lot of people complain about phpBB's security.

phpBB is free and easily customised, as long as you update it all the time it shouldnt get hacked or anything. It's easily broken, too, so be careful and backup everything when installing mods :p

Back