• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just an experiment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

Has anyone tried this? For those of you like me that really all you do for the most part is do minor apps with folding running folding in the background you might want to try this.

Originally posted by KLowD
Im still on Windows ME becuase I can make my 558.1 faster than my friends 675 Athalon, but to the point...If ur in windows 2000, you can use the task manager thing, its got all of the programs, the priorities, and threads, and if you right click on them, you can change it. If on windows 9x/me, go to voodoofiles.com and theres a program there like the windows 2000 task manager. Its free but its got bugs, like reporting the virtual memory wrong, other than that, its good. Try it! Also make sure you have vsinc turned off, or it will only go the refresh rate of ur monitor.

Then here's the exact link http://www.voodoofiles.com/3866

It actually made my folding client run faster and hasn't affected my other apps one bit! I can even play QuakeIII smoothly! Anyway could someone else try this even if your box is dedicated to folding and post results? Just give the Winfah.exe file a "real time" priority.

]-[itman said:
Just give the Winfah.exe file a "real time" priority.

lol...or just wait for someone else to try this ;)
I don't even think that the folding client would work at RT. It would be a great way to cause the need for a hard reboot. :D
ATM works great but it's not free and I don't have the link :( but it's pretty cheap especially when the dollar is strong.

It's working so far! I'll admit it does give my system some trouble sometimes when i try and run other high priority apps but when I'm just surfing the web or something(what I normally do) it works great! I just wanted to see if someone else gets the same results.

I haven't tried Real time priority, well not for folding anyway. :)

There are 3 sub processes in the core_65.exe. Two of them don't do too much and get a higher priority in the program. The third subprocess does almost all of the work and it is set to a lower priority than the whole core_65. If the core_65 is set to real time then the two subprocesses that just sit there will be the ones at real time and the subprocess that does all the work will be set a few steps below real time. This may be why everything is still working. If that third process were set to real time it would probably lock up your system.

ok i tried putting core_65.exe at real time but it doesn't work:( But i can set it to high.

]-[itman said:
ok i tried putting core_65.exe at real time but it doesn't work:( But i can set it to high.

High is good :) You should be getting 98%or more of the CPU now. :D
RealTime belongs to certain things that need to be able to take full control whenever they are called.
I've been keeping the working subprocess at just below normal with ATM and the system seems happy. Right now it is above normal and I am typing faster than the system can react. Kind of like and old 300 baud modem dialing into a bbs. :D

Back