• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple AMD OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twiggz

I've read around and see that some people say if you cannot OC an AMD cpu on a 1:1 ratio to your memory clock than there is no point in doing like a CPU/11 configuration as it will just slow up your bandwith, true ?

no, I don't think it's true. There COULD be some kind of minor loss of performance through dividers. But what's your alternative? not overclocking. And in that case you are loosing far more performance.

Dividers are fine, and the way that most people have to do things cause DDR ram just isn't up to speed!

that was almost true in the time of athlon xp procesors when you overclocked in a non 1:1 ratio you lost alot of bandwith, but now we have athlon 64 procesors and the ratio is not so important because of the IMC.

in amd 64 case this not true is better to clock the cpu higher . the memory controler in already in the cpu their is very low latency for memory acess.i would say ddr400 speed with good timing will be enough then clock the cpu as high as u can

What you say is true about lower bandwidth. You will have lower bandwidth. However, you do not suffer the massive latency penalty that the AthlonXP did if memory and FSB were not at the same speed. That was the main reason for concern previously, but is not a real issue with the introduction of the integrated memory controller in the CPU.

You can usually lower any loss in performance from having lower bandwidth by tightening the timings as well as increasing the overall CPU clock speed.

Overall clock speed is more important than having an extreme amount of bandwidth (assuming you're not lowering the memory speed down to nothing, of course).

The Athlon64 architecture, at this point, isn't really starved for memory bandwidth.

Back