• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU for new system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UmHelp

I am starting to mod my case for my new water cooled system that I am building at the end of the summer. I kinda want to get my PSU so I can find a place to fit my Thermochill 120.3. Not 100% sure of the specs at the moment but it is going to be high end. Probably going to have 4x750gig hdds RAID 5, 2x150gig raptors RAID 1, 4gigs of ram, 7900's in SLI(depending on which processor i get i might not be able to get SLI), core duo or some amd FX. This system is gonna need a nice PSU behind it. I am looking for a high end PSU that will be quite and powerful. Looking to spend around $250ish. I have been reading through all the different stickys and different posts and lots of different names have been coming up. I was hoping for a little bit clearer answer, I havn't heard to much about noise. I kinda want to get an Idea on how loud they are. I have a seasonic 600 and it is very quite maybe compare the noise to it????

Wants: Fairly quite (more quite than my Iwaki MD20z maybe?), very reliable, and have a good bit of future proofing in it, all for max $250ish.

I don't want to skimp on quality but I also don't want to blow all my money on a PSU.

EDIT:
I might drop a 750gig hdd and grab a PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 850 SSI. You think that would be worth it? I also might drop the 7900s and wait until the beginning of next year for DX10 cards. If they are taking as much power as people are saying then an 850 watt psu might be a necessity. Any thoughts about this???

EDIT:
Pfff for 50 bucks more I can get the 1000 watt Quad SLI psu. I might as well get that if I am going to spend 450 why now 500.... How loud is this puppy gonna be is it worht it?? 300watts per video card is pretty ruff. I think this is a pretty tuff decision. /bitting fingernails.

Last edited:
I'd really recommend waiting to the mid to end of july and get a Conroe. By then they'll have SLI boards for it too.

as for PSU...you're gonna need some muscle there....you definitely can't skimp.

I mean, you're spending $2200 on just harddrives. a Conroe will run you $800 or so I think, or an FX62 will be close to $1000
I'd say you should get a:

PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850 SSI T85SSI 850W Power Supply - Retail
The only thing is that I don't think these things are quiet. You could mod it and put a quieter fan

But I, personally, wouldn't go any less in power than 800w

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Check it out....MY system is quoted at like 800W

If you go Conroe, which has a far lower power requirement, you'll probably run about the same as me. and probably just a little higher than that for an FX62

You could probably get away with this:

SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF 750W Power Supply - Retail

But I think if your gonna build a cadillac it should have a cadillac engine!

yea i noticed that read my edits :D

I think i might just have to pop for the big guns. I don't plan on buying the processor or hdds etc.. until the end of the summer. I dont get paid again until the end of august anyways.

So i guess getting the 1000watt would be worth it in the long run?? How is it on noise?

To answer your question about noise, PCP&C typically does not have very quiet PSUs. They are built like tanks and are very dependable, but silence is really not a key selling point for them.

Noise: 32 - 40dB(A)

That is the noise rating on the their website.

Right now I would say that my case is a bit loud. Has a loud DD-D4 pump and a bunch of hdds. I would say it is around 35ish dB. If the PSU stays around that level then I don't think it would bother me too much. I guess I will have to buy the PSU to figure out if it is going to be too loud or not???

It is really hard to judge how loud things are. I sleep with a huge box fan blowing on me and that thing is loud as crap, but I sleep like a baby. Other people couldn't stand to sleep in my room with that thing running because they prefer quite.

The main thing I don't want is a PSU that sounds like a vantec tornado on full blast, that is loud as crap and I dont want anything like that. I want an acceptable noise level.

Well I am not sure any PSUs have fans as loud as a Tornado. The problem with decible ratings is that they are pretty much all bogus. Thats not even to say that all companies are attempting to give false information, but when it says 35 decibles for a fan, does that mean at a distance of 1 foot or 10? Inside the case or outside? Mounted with some sound deadening material and measured from the next room?

You pretty much need to hear them yourself :) My PCP&C was not screaming loud, but when you got a good load going on it, the fan would kick up and you could tell the fan noise from the PSU apart from the rest of the system. Noise is a fairly subjective thing, but most other people I have seen posting on them seemed to have the same experience as me (not deafening, but not quiet either).

Well I think I will pop the big bucks and drop a 750gig hdd from my system for this monster. Hopefully by winter I will have enough money saved up for the extra parts I am sacrificing for this PSU. I will just get 2x750s and put them in RAID0 for now. The data isn't too important not a huge deal if it is all lost. The extra drive would only be for redundency anyways.

Thanks for the help guys. This better be worth it :p For this much money this thing better last me for my next 3 systems. :santa: :bday:

Turbo-Cool 1KW-Quad SLI
Output: +5V @ 30A
+12V1 @ 16A (CPU)
+12V2 @ 16A (Drives)
+12V3 @ 36A (Graphics)
+12V1,V2,V3 = 66A (70A peak)
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3.5A
continuous power = 1000W
peak power = 1100W

vs.

Turbo-Cool 1KW
Output: +5V @ 30A
+12V1 @ 18A (CPU)
+12V2 @ 18A (CPU)
+12V3@ 36A (Graphics, Drives)
+12V1,V2,V3 = 66A (70A pk.)
-12V @ 0.8A
+3.3V @ 30A
+5VSB @ 3.5A
continuous = 1000W
peak = 1100W

From this it looks like the +12V1 and +12V2 lines are 2A weaker for the SLI version. If I never get quad SLI would it be better to get the non-quad SLI version just because those lines are 2A stronger??

Problem is I don't know if I am going to get quad SLI in the future or not... Would it be better to future proof and sacafice 2A that probably wont make to much of a difference but might.

always look to the future, my son!
hehe....i'd say if the lil bit more money isn't a problem then get the Quad ready PSU...ya never know!

(but then again...it kinda looks like Quad SLI might be going to toward only needing 2 power connectors anyway (ie the 7950gx2)

SO....maybe it would be better to get the dual SLI one instead..... hehe uhhhhh I don't know what to recommend!

What is the loudness factor? I am trying to build a semi-quite case.

Back