• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Skool Duron 600,overclock for noob?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikee55

Registered
Hi all,hope I'm in the right parlour.I had an accident a while back and broke my Duron 1100.I dropped the heatsink on it,ouch.An Ebay session found me a 600,DOH!,and I stuck it in my Jetway V266B mobo,along with 512mb DDR,80gb and 160gb hdds,etc.Im not in a financial posistion to upgrade and won't be able to for a while.This is my main PC and is on a LAN with 2 other PC's and a Laptop.The 2 PC's belong to my kids,which they use to watch DIVX videos.My 160gb hdd,courtesey of SKY+ sat reciever,holds many a DIVX file.The thing is creating a DIVX from a DVD takes appx 10 hours to convert(system doing nothing else,virus off etc).With standard CPU fan and PSU fan the system temp is 35C and CPU 42C.I have added a case fan at the bottom front of the case and I have a fan blowing behind the CPU and now a System temp of 29C and CPU 33.5C.I thought this reduction would help a little but it still takes appx 10 hours to convert a film.So now I need to consider whether or not to Overclock it,what do ya think?
Please give me some feedback,the jetway is said to be a good overclocking board,should I attempt it??

Cheers mikee55

Does that Jetway have options in the BIOS for overclocking? Do you have the ability to adjust the multiplier/FSB/cpu voltage in the BIOS?

Ah the magical days of Duron overclocking, brings back fond memories :)

So to answer your question, yes you should attempt it. You should at least get 800MHz out of it (maybe 750MHz if you're really unlucky); but if I remember correctly 800MHz to near 900MHz was the norm. That may not sound like much when you compare it to people getting 1000MHz overclocks on P4 cpus but it works out to be the same. ie:

If I O/C a P4 3GHz to 4GHz that's a 33% O/C

If you O/C a Duron 600MHz to 800MHz that's also a 33% O/C

That I say go for it! Good Luck!

Hi all,thanks for replies.The Jetway has adjustment in bios and jumpers on the board.Is my cooling okay?

Cheers mikee55

My Duron900 got to 1350MHz on 1.9v before it said no more and something broke inside. It wont boot up at anything over stock now :(

That's only because i was pushing the voltage. 1.9v on a Duron is very high. Just stick with 1.7-1.8v depending on how comfortable you are and you should get a reasonable boost in performance.

ps2cho

Know Nuttin said:
Does that Jetway have options in the BIOS for overclocking? Do you have the ability to adjust the multiplier/FSB/cpu voltage in the BIOS?

Back when I had my first Duron and I bridge modded it with an old AT PSU (this was before the handy walkthroughs and overclocking kits). I took an old AT PSU and hooked up safty pins to 5v and ground and had the CPU on stacks of anti-static foaml. I touched 5v and ground to the sides of the bridges to blow them, and then used a lead pensil to pensil in my overclock.

This didnt require the motherboard to have overclocking options, it would just detect the CPU as what i made it to be.

synthetic_fenix said:
Back when I had my first Duron and I bridge modded it with an old AT PSU (this was before the handy walkthroughs and overclocking kits). I took an old AT PSU and hooked up safty pins to 5v and ground and had the CPU on stacks of anti-static foaml. I touched 5v and ground to the sides of the bridges to blow them, and then used a lead pensil to pensil in my overclock.

This didnt require the motherboard to have overclocking options, it would just detect the CPU as what i made it to be.

heh heh I did that to an AthlonXP with 2 "D" batteries and a couple straight pins; worked like a charm :)

I tried oc-ing a Duron 850 the problem I had no spare PSU as it was using a old 150w. If I had put in a 400w I reckon I could OCed it but even at 850 I put win98 on it and it was blazing.

Last edited:
my duron 800 still alive :) it was overclocked to 1020mhz stable using stock air cooling. then in water it go as high as 1370 scren shot never tested the max muim stable clock

Hi all,my above temperatures have been stable since I added xtra fans and thats 29C system 33.5 CPU.Weather here in south UK is changing from a hot overcast day to now very windy and wet.If thats of any use.

Cheers mikee5

Back