• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP, changed mobo, cpu....same HDD no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

so I have XP pro and I swapped to a new mobo and cpu and vid.....but am keeping the old HDD.....when I boot I get to the windows safe mode options....but any option, (safe, command, normal) just goes to a black screen....anyone know why this is happening?....and video shouldn't be an issue...I went from a evga 6800 agp to a evga 6600 pcie....should use the same nvidia drivers.

you need to reload the windows, because you changed the motherboard and if its a different/board chipset, windows xp will most likely crash due to the large hardware change

You can also try a repair install first, before doing a wipe and replace. I've only had a repair install fail once or twice during a mobo replacement with either Win2K Pro or XP.

What specifically happens here is the HDD controller drivers for the new MB are not set to load. It's tricky. do what muddocktor said.

Ramlaen said:
you need to reload the windows, because you changed the motherboard and if its a different/board chipset, windows xp will most likely crash due to the large hardware change
indeed, tried to do the same when i changed to dfi board didnt work, had to format =[

wow quick replies...thanks guys...I'll try repair....geez and this is a temp setup until I decide to go AM2 or not in the next few weeks since my CPU broke......oh windows why are you so uncapable?

Well repairing windows copies the files over then when it reboots after post it goes to a black screen instead of setup.....any ideas?

Edit: ok well I figured since I have this 200gig drive also in there for just random storage I just put windows on that and I can backup everything from the old windows install so when I get a new system I'll just format the drive....always nice to have a clean install with new hardware anyway.

Last edited:
Back