• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE controller problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBERCOOL

I am building a file server and I bought a cheapo IDE controller of ebay. I got it and put it in my system and it caused the system to not post. I tried every PCI slot then put it in my good system to see if it would work there and sure enough it did. So I assumed a short in the PCI bus but when I tested other PCI cards in there it worked fine. Is there a setting in the bios I am missing? Help would be greatly appreciated.

File Server
Asus A7V8X-MX SE
Athlon 850
512mb DDR

It is at stock speeds right now. I have taken everything out of the system that isn't required to post in order to try and isolate the problem. I have also reverted to default and fail safe settings.

What's the make and model of the controller card, and are you running the board w/ the latest 1006 or Beta 1007.001 BIOS installed?

Yes, it works fine without the PCI card. The controller is a Silicon Image 0680 chipset but I don't remember who makes the card I will check it when I get home.

Back