• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird SATA power issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brahmzy

Hey all,

So I got my new brand new OEM 74GB 16mb Raptors in.
Right now I ain't got a box to put 'em in, but I at least wanted to plug 'em in to see if they spin up.
So, as you know they have both a new SATA power input and an old legacy 4-pin power input.

Before you say it...NO I did not plug in both types of connections at the same time!

The issue I'm having is if I use my Antec NEO's SATA power plugs, both drives spin up fine. If I use a legacy power connector, neither one of them spin up. I can even put a legacy to SATA power adapter on the 4-pin molex and they spin up fine.

It's like unless they are being fed power from the SATA connections, they WILL NOT spin up.

This sucks as I prefer the old 4-pin molex connectors over the new SATA connectors.

Is there maybe a jumper I have to put on to enable the legacy power connection?

No, should work fine. when i got my raptors i simply jammed in the 4-pin molex and i was rockin, sounds like an issue with the drives. Probably nothing serious but you could RMA it for that reason. :S

Both Raptors bad?!?! That would be too weird. Does anybody have a brand new 16mb cache one they could test?

Back