• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdowns...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Well I just can not figure it out guys, I got a computer with a Intel Celeron D 325 @ stock, a soyo SY-P4RC350, 192mb PC3200, 120GB Maxtor PATA, 6GB Quatum PATA Slave, Sony CD-RW, and a Lite-on CD-ROM.

Basically I built the computer for a friend about two years, ran great for about 1.5 years then a problem started to develop. When working on the computer it would randomly shut down, either a complete reboot or just to a blank screen with the HDD LED solid. Now the problem is picking up in frequency so far I have tested the PSU, cleaned spyware and virus, did a quick MemTest, unjunked the system, reinstalled XP, and tried each of the cd drives. Still he is having issues, however I have only witnessed it twice, and I am trying to replicate the shutdown by running Prime95 with small FFT, hover after 1 hour of running no issues. I will allow it to run all night to do a complete test.

So I am going to assume that it is a CPU or Motherboard issue as reinstalling XP didn't even do the trick. Any ideas?

Well, if you want to go the long way, switch out every compenent in the system with another computer to see if each individual part works, I'm too impatient for this, so another thing is if the HDD light is stuck on, then try putting in another HDD and see if it works, small PATA drives arent that expensive.

Well I was going to switch out the motherboard with one of my asus ones but I figured I would let it Prime for a while. My best are on the mobo though...

When you reinstalled XP, did you reformat the HDD? If not, try it.

How did you test the PSU?

Lockups are usually due to the following:
1. Corrupted OS
2. Corrupted drivers
3. Bad RAM
4. Bad PSU
5. Bad mobo
6. Bad cpu

Back