• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with PowerColor Theater Pro 550 PCI-Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palesicklydwarf

I just installed the 550 PCI-E in my main system(A64 939 3200, NF4 Ultra, 1GB Ram, and an eVGA GF 6600 with WinXP Home SP2), and have run into a couple of big problems.

The 550 seems to have somehow affected my mpeg encoding capabilities(even in programs, that as far as I know, don't have anything to do with using the card's capture functions).

First problem: I had been using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 4 SE to import and convert some dvd's(home movies) to mpeg videos very successfully, until I installed the 550 PCI-E. Now when I try to do the same thing that had been working, I get a blue screen with a machine_check_exception error. Sometimes the error occurs as soon as I try to select which files on the DVD I want to import, but most of the time it happens after everything is apparently successful, and I try to work with the newly created mpeg file. I have even had the error occur when all I tried to do was move the after the card was installed newly created mpeg file from one folder/drive to a different folder/drive. I do not have any problems working with mpeg's that were created before I installed the card though. I had initially installed the software that came with the card and had the same error crop up with trying to use it too, so I have since uninstalled it, with the same error still occurring.

Second Problem: No sound at all when playing back composite captured video with bundled software or Ulead DVD MF4 SE(at least the parts I got to see before the machine_check_exception error occurs that is). Composite video captured with Windows Movie Maker 2 works fine(unfortunately for me it chops the video into lots and lots of small .wmv files though, when what I want is one large mpeg file).

I have tried all of the latest drivers for everything with no change. I still get the machine_check_exception error(0x0000009c-I can't remember the exact number of zeroes) everytime I try to work with or move a newly created mpeg file.

I have a feeling it is either a BIOS setting(since both my video card and the 550 is pci-express) or an ATI/nVidia driver conflict of some sort. Other than that I am out of ideas.

Back