• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAC OS on PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you wanna install a MAC OS on a PC the answer is YES, it is called Darwin (it is just Mac OSX for AMD based PC's) look around for it on the apply site. It actually looked good for max stuff

http://www.opensource.apple.com//

that dont state it but i am positive that i read somewhere mac osx can now be ran on AMD based systems, nad it was called Darwin?!?

Last edited:
[OC] Jason said:
if you wanna install a MAC OS on a PC the answer is YES, it is called Darwin (it is just Mac OSX for AMD based PC's) look around for it on the apply site. It actually looked good for max stuff

http://www.opensource.apple.com//

that dont state it but i am positive that i read somewhere mac osx can now be ran on AMD based systems, nad it was called Darwin?!?

Amazing but I'd rather run Linux !!

The above download is for Darwin, which is the basis of MacOS X, but it dosen't have the GUI. It's all command line.

Since Apple is switching their systems over to Intel x86, the new versions technically should work on a regular PC, but they will probally have it locked down somehow so it wont, even if it compatible. Apple likes to sell hardware.

-D

I heard that old Stevy said with the arch switch it will be possible, but not recommended. Right now though all I know of is basically emulators for it.

Yeah, I thought I read that with the switch to x86 it was going to be possible to run the new Mac OS on PC systems. I even think I saw a link to a guy who actually got the x86 based OS (illegally of course) and was able to make it run.

Can you install OS X on an x86-based computer? At the moment, not really, although it's possible with a lot of modifications.

The issue is that the next Macs will likely be non-x86 Intel computers (as in not compliant with all the brain-dead things that True x86 machines do), according to the iCon.

And according to Apple, you may not.

I think even linux was dropped from virtual pc when MS bought it. Prior to that it did work. I may still work on old linux installs. I don't think the mac was ever supported.

Back