• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make sim-CPU heat load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X-Silver

Hi, I am trying to test a few heatsink and fans by my self, and want to produce a simulated cpu head load using aluminum and resistors. From what I see most sites uses the dale RH wirewound models from vishay.

Well here is the problem, I have no idea where to purchase them . I've looked quite a number of electronic stores but they just don't sell one that high of watts. I need about 5 different resistors ranging from 60 watts to 100 watts of head load.

That brings me to my second question, is it possible to get a single wirewound resistor to produce 80-100 watts of heat?
I asume not since all the simulated cpu head load I saw uses either 1 resistor to produce sub-50 watts or the combination of 2 resistors for a head load that's over 50 watts. Is 50 watts the maximum for these resistors?

It would be great if anyone could direct me to somewhere I could purchase these online, best if I don't have to buy them by the hundreds, if not any store link would do.

Or if anyone has any other idea to simulate different heat loads from 60 watts to 100 watts, please do post. Thanks in advance.

And sorry if the questoin sound newbish, I am really new at this :D

I imgaine that if there were 100watt resistors availible easily, most sites would use one of those instead of two smaller resistors.

I have no idea where to actually get one- biggest I've seen for sale are the 5 watters at Radioshack.

perhaps try looking at www.jameco.com- they have lots of electric doo-dads, not too sure about wirewounds tho. I'd probably focus on getting them off the web, local stores probably won't have them. Maybe send an email to a webmaster or reviewer who has used one in the past and ask them, I know Ed from this site will most likely answer your questions.

Monster of Rock
Yeah the most electronic store I check only have sub-10 watt resistors, nothing even close to a wirewound. And I'm pretty stuck with web stores since they don't really carry wirewounds either..... argggggg :(
Think I might have to find another way to produce accurate heat load other than resistors....

ButcherUK
Yeah most of the site I saw had sub-50 watt resistors, but the problem is, I'm cutting aluminum to the exact size of a cpu, I don't think 2 resistors would fit. I guess I have to change my design of the CPU simulator... was trying to make it as close to the real CPU as possible. :)

the usual method is to have a larger plate of Al or Cu with the resistors attached and then have a die sized protusion which you mount HSFs on to.

Back