• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlabit

Registered
I am new to overclocking. Just want a moderate boost. I have an AMD 3200 Venice running on a MSI Neo4 Platinum MB. Crucial 1 gb x 2 DDR 400 RAM. I have increased the FSB to 220 from the standard 200. I have Prime 95 running now and system appears stable, however, I am concerned about the CPU temps. According to my Core Center monitoring, my CPU is running at 59 degrees C under load by Prime 95. The cooling on the CPU is standard AMD fan with Artic Silver between CPU and fan. This is very high, is it not? Thanks for your assistance and advice.

Jim

:welcome: to the Forum!
Yes, 59 is rather hot for a Venice core under load. I prefer to stay at 55 and under, and 50 if possible. Check the airflow in your case and consider investing in an after market cooler.

seems a little hot

are you running the stock hs? thats prob your problem. I know my opty 165 has never gotten up to 60C. Under load, it maxes at 45C. Most people rule is to try to keep it under 50C. 60C prob won't damage it, but you haven't oced it much so if your gonna go any further you need to figure out a way to keep it cooler.

what are the rest of the temperatures being read as (motherboard/system/chipset if available)? Does the heatsink feel like it could be around 60c? Inaccurate temp sensors aren't uncommon.

Back