• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick advice requested on my shopping list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmeyer

Registered
I’ve spent the last month prowling the boards digging up water cooling info. I’m ready to start buying, and would appreciate general advice on my decisions. Mostly I’m looking for any quick yells of “Wait, don’t buy A if you are buying B, they aren’t compatible!”.
[Edit: I've bought most of the stuff I was firm on. All that is left is pump/rad/additive]

Background: I’m finally breaking down and building a new system from the ground up. I have a good selection of general plumbing/woodworking tools, but little metalworking experience beyond basic copper plumbing/solder work.

Budget: No hard limit. $2-300 for the water cooling part is my expectation.

General goal: fast gaming rig, plus have fun building it and tinkering. I’m not looking to break any speed records here, but I would love to crank up some game details.

Current plan: build a Conroe capable overclocking friendly system (yes, I’m paying attention to all the Conroe motherboard threads), drop in an 805 for now, hopefully get it up to 3.5GHz+ (I know, I know, no guarantees; but for $120 shipped, what the heck, and I’ll still be a step up from my current generic 3 gig P4 system)

Which leads me to water cooling. I'll watercool my 805d for now. When fast Conroes start dropping in price (end of year?) I’ll make the jump and use the water cool rig on the Conroe. I’ll likely stick with single vid card for now, but crossfire/SLI is always a possibility at some point. No cooling the vid card for now, but I’m leaving that as a possibility.

Current component plans:

Motherboard: TBD Asus/Gigabyte/Intel conroe ATX/975/965 MB when I can grab one

CPU: 805D for now, Conroe or beyond eventually

Case: *BOUGHT* Stacker TC01 ($115 with rebate at Newegg! I was ready to order at $145)
I like the Aurora and Armor, but both seem to have less room and less flexibility. So many places to put the rad and pump in a stacker, and I like the looks. Plus it will make a great server case if I ever retire it. TJ07 is out of my price range.

PSU: *BOUGHT* OCZ Powerstream 520, $109 after rebate
I wasn’t up for $200 for the PC P&C

CPU waterblock: *BOUGHT* Apogee
I don’t see anything that clearly indicates Storm is worth the extra $30 for an 805 or Conroe with heat spreader, plus I like the idea of a less restrictive block.

Rad: BIP II
$30 at Directron, less restrictive than a GT, and I can put 3 in for the price of a thermochill...

Pump: DDC+
I keep going back and forth from D5 to DDC(18w), but I’m leaning towards extra-quiet at this point.

Fans: *BOUGHT* Four Yate Loon D12SL-12 ($3.50 per at directron) to start with, along with a Sunbeam 5-1/4" Rheobus Kit ($11 at jab-tech)

Reservoir: TBD, likely home brew PVC (or copper).

Tubing: *BOUGHT* Mastercleer 7/16”, 20 ft (too much, but it’s cheap)
Cheap and easy from jab-tech

Clamps: worm screw Home Depot special.

thermal paste: *BOUGHT* AS5 (2.5grams)

I really won’t figure out my configuration until I get the pieces, but radiator in the front/bottom of the case with four fans in push/pull sounds good, pump mid-bottom of the case is my likely config. Pump flat on the bottom venting through the bottom vents is also possible if I can make that work.

Any thoughts? What am I missing? Where am I making bad choices (overkill or underkill).

Thanks for any help. I'll be back when I start putting pieces together.

Paul

Last edited:
Ah, replying to my own post. Pity me... :)

But I do have a more specific question: Can I fit a 3x120 Rad in the top or bottom inside a Stacker? Which is easier, top or bottom? What is the best way to do the surgery?

I'm having second thoughts about the Black Ice pro II and I'm thinking BIPIII. Fans are cheap, rad surface area is the best way to keep things quiet, and it looks like there is room in the Stacker TC01.

Thanks!

Last edited:
well, i can comment on a few things. First of all, you may want to try a T-line rather than a res. I've always used T-lines for the simplicity of them, i guess it's really up to you. As far as pumps go, I've got the D5 and it's whisper quiet. I can't imagine anything being quieter, becuase I absolutely cannot hear it, and I'm anal about silence.

:welcome: to the forums, we're happy to help should you have any problems

as far as mobo if you plan on sli or cf get 975, if you can handle just a sinlge card setup then 965. If your looking at 965 the gigabyte mobo is the one with 12phase power with it in mind for kentsfield in q1 07. As far as 975 its kinda hard to say at this point from what we see DFI infinity boards looks nice. Since they are not making a ultra version from whats been said it might just be the best out there. Me personally im looking towards either Abit's AB9-pro or AW9D-max.

Now the pumps are good selection, there is one retailer i do believe that has both the 10w and 18w DCC-12v.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=453456&highlight=dcc+10

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=444318&highlight=dcc+10

since your not worried about restriction go with the dcc and i would suggest the 10watt version.
I never used a res so i cant comment on it. Just that i found using a t-line really easy for draining and filling my loop. just make sure you set it in the right spot.
Worms clamps are the best IMO, easier to take off vs the gator teeth clamps.

the only coolant i have used was VW (blue) radiator fluid. I wanted blue so i might have used a tad higher rad to distalled water to get it darker. Dont think my temps were effected much as mixure was 10% rad instead of 5%.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to avoid radiator fluid. While I don't plan to leak, I have dogs, so paranoia is the order of the day.

I'll keep that in mind on the T line. I'll poke around to find advice on how to prime/fill/drain with a T. Does it make sense to have more than one (top/bottom) or is that just asking for trouble?

I'm still conflicted on the pump. I've seen:
- D5 is very quiet
- D5 has a noticable whine
- DDC's are quiet
- DDC 18w has noticable noise

My leaning is the D5 because it has 1/2" barbs, and I'm running 7/16" clearflex. I don't need total silence.

I'm still debating the BIP-II vs. BIP-III... I may wait until I get the case and measure and figure it out then.

pmeyer said:
Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to avoid radiator fluid. While I don't plan to leak, I have dogs, so paranoia is the order of the day.

I'll keep that in mind on the T line. I'll poke around to find advice on how to prime/fill/drain with a T. Does it make sense to have more than one (top/bottom) or is that just asking for trouble?

I'm still conflicted on the pump. I've seen:
- D5 is very quiet
- D5 has a noticable whine
- DDC's are quiet
- DDC 18w has noticable noise

My leaning is the D5 because it has 1/2" barbs, and I'm running 7/16" clearflex. I don't need total silence.

I'm still debating the BIP-II vs. BIP-III... I may wait until I get the case and measure and figure it out then.

well the d5 does have different settings, what 1-5 i think it is. From full power to low noise but with some whine at low. Some of the noise comes down to how well the pump is secured to the case. You could also make a houseing with noise padding to kill the whine and have full power to the pump.
well for low noise pumps i have been looking at these
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=230&cat=4&page=1
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=178

you could always add a rad in the front or back of the case for more cooling down the road if the case is not long enough for a bip3. If you really do get the D5 the hands down get the GT rad. Even with the low noise fans is suppose to be even better at cooling then the bip's.

dual t-line's never seen any one do that, i dont see any problems with it. With one at top for bleeding/filling with the other one at the bottom for draining. Hmm i might have to do that when i water cool later after i upgrade.
If you do try it out let us know how it works out.

I'll probably go with the D5. Same price, 1/2" barbs, no need to mod, and I can probably get it quiet enough.

On the Rad, I hate to spend 50% more for <20% increase in performance (according to the hwlabs website description of the GT). I may go for the GT. If I can fit a triple on the inside roof or on the floor of my stacker, I may go for the BIPIII ($40) instead of a GT II ($50). Or I may break down and get a GTIII ($60). I'll wait to get my case and see what I think will fit.

Back