• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old proc sitting here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CT Raider

Registered
I've got a 2Ghz proc from an old Dell Dimension 8200 sitting here. I'm not really sure what happened to the rig to make it die. I think it might have been the motherboard. It gave me the excuse to build the rig I have in my sig.

Am I able to drop this in a socket compatable mobo?
Would I have to use that Dell branded ram ($$$$$$$)?

I have a spare psu and brand new ATI Radeon 9800 (replaced under warranty for free). I was thinking about making a linux box or a softwall to play around with. :confused:

What's the sSpec of the cpu? (5 letters starting with S on the cpu) With that you can confirm if you have s423 or s478. I think 8200's might have been both, but most were s478. If it's socket 478, you can pick up just about any s478 mobo. You won't be able to find a mobo that supports the old Dell RDRam anywhere but ebay. All s478 boards currently available use DDR ram. You could get some pc3200 value ram & have tons of overclocking headroom to play with too.

JLK03F150 said:
You won't be able to find a mobo that supports the old Dell RDRam anywhere but ebay.

Really wasn't set on using that ram just trying to figure out if Dell somehow figured a way to lock down a proc to only use a certain type of ram (theirs). :rolleyes:

I'll check on the letters a be back with that info.

Thanks for your help.

On their older systems the mobo, psu & case were proprietary, but their newer stuff is mostly standard micro ATX or BTX. Some of their mobo's are picky about ram density too. But their cpu's are just standard Intel parts.

JLK03F150 said:
On their older systems the mobo, psu & case were proprietary, but their newer stuff is mostly standard micro ATX or BTX. Some of their mobo's are picky about ram density too. But their cpu's are just standard Intel parts.

I was thinking about using the old psu. I'll bet I can't. Guess I could just get a case that comes with one.

I have a Dell 8100 which is certainly proprietary. Supposedly the 8200 uses a standard ATX psu. This site that sells adapters for standard ATX psu's to work on non-standard dells says the 8200 doesn't need an adapter. (scroll down to "Known exceptions:")
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=dellconverter
You might want a new psu away though since the dell is probably only 250w.

JLK03F150 said:
You might want a new psu away though since the dell is probably only 250w.

Thanks for the link and you are correct. I have a normal psu.
My understanding is that Dell underrates their PSU and is acctually about a 350.

It was running that old machine fine with the gpu I had replaced under warranty so I think I should be fine with it.

JLK03F150 said:
What's the sSpec of the cpu? (5 letters starting with S on the cpu)

I started this post a while ago as you can see. I misplaced the proc but have now found it.

It's really hard to read but here goes.
Intel 01
Pentium@4
2A GHZ/512/400/1.5v
SL66R Philippines
7242AR26-8965

So what mobo? 478?
And now I'm thinking about making a media center PC out of it and the Radeon 9800pro.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
That's a 400fsb Northwood, congrats ;). It's socket 478.

Is that good? (I'm asking because I have just completed my first two builds in the last couple of months, both with AMD procs and I'm not as familiar with Intel (although that's all I've owned the last 12 years)).

ya a s478 is a pretty good thing cus you have like literally TONS of boards out there for it.... pluss they will all be cheap. i have an old P4... same one you have 2.0ghz 400mhz fsb (AKA 2.0A) i popped the IHS off of it and its sitting in an old asus board with rambuss.

Im getting a 2.0 478 cele soon. I plan to use it in a HTPC, you seem to have the stuff to make one.. the 9800 would be more then enough.. Would just need a tad bit of memory and a board... and a hard drive.. And you have it!

Back