• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to buy new compy, target 144 opty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dz_jad

from here
Would a socket 939 be a good idea? whats a good motherboard, or 2...
or would socket 940 be best? whats the pro's/con's if there are any? also a list of mobo's would be nice....
I've been looking around for a couple weeks, and I think I might run with a 144 Opteron.

I assume you mean socket AM2 with ¨socket 940¨... If I were you, I'd avoid buying a 939 setup. AFAIK AMD even stopped producing 939 chips... AM2 is the way to go. Cheaper DDR2, and future proof.

dan

Dan0512 said:
I assume you mean socket AM2 with ¨socket 940¨... If I were you, I'd avoid buying a 939 setup. AFAIK AMD even stopped producing 939 chips... AM2 is the way to go. Cheaper DDR2, and future proof.

dan
hadn't even heard of socket AM2, i'm talking about opteron, socket 939 and 940.....

**wanders off to find out whatn AM2 is**

so socket AM2....is opteron availble in AM2? on manarchcomputer, it only has the X2, and 64 bit, and semprons on AM2..."All AM2 Proccessors" link

940 is the ddr1 opteron socket. Nothing to do with AM2. AFAIK there are no DDR2 optys yet.

socket 940 is for servers, and afaik it only takes registered memory. I'd only consider it for a server, and a lot less than a 939 setup as well.

dan

dz_jad said:
ok, gotcha.
wtf does AFAIK mean?

I think I'm going for this now, just need a mobo, and then I'll upgrade in the future or something...

AMD 64 3800+ (Socket AM2)
$140
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc..._Code=M&Product_Code=120995&Category_Code=AM2

Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2-800 2 GB (1 gig sticks)
$267.50
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=140669

Suggestions?

AFAIK- As far as I know

I'm no expert on AM2 cpus, but I'd go for even a cheaper version of the single core (3200+), and stay away from the dual cores. Wait for the 65nm dual cores which will kick ***.

dan

In about a month the X2 prices will drop. Intel will release its new gen.
I recommend you wait for a month, you'll benefit no matter what CPU company you will go with either way.

The Coolest said:
In about a month the X2 prices will drop. Intel will release its new gen.
I recommend you wait for a month, you'll benefit no matter what CPU company you will go with either way.
thanks for the advice, I already understand these things, I kinda dont want to buy now, but I have nothing. I think I might buy with an Idea of upgrading...so I can atleast do what I need to now, and then just have spare parts, or parts ready to go for a secondary rig.....

what would be a good motherboard to go with? couple options maybe?

You can get good parts now and a cheap sempron and upgrade later to a dual core
maybe even hold off till the 65nm chips

Back