• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP OEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prtssguy

Registered
I bought my computer from circuit city a few years ago, and it came with XP Home. The XP DVD had alot of other programs, things I wouldn't use with the new computer I'm making soon. Is there a program I can use to extract just the operating system, or a way to only install Windows (not the extra drivers/programs)? I still have my CD key.

Generally laptops come with a ghost image or whatevr of a drive and it installs itself. You can't really extract windows though. Your only option would be to buy a windows xp home CD without the key (or with a key) and that would do it.

Oem copies that come with a computer, are non transferable to new computers. Only retail copies are transferable. So you are in violation of some software agreement. You really have to go out and buy a new copy of windows

As ramlaen said, you would have to go out and buy a whole new copy. Your license key with the OEM copy wont even work on a retail copy anyways.

Back