• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 865PE NEO2-PLATINUM newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thunk

i just ebayed myself a MSI 865PE NEO2-PLATINUM and ebuyer'd 2x1gig of crucial ddr pc3200
i also have a 3.2 northwood cpu comming. and a nice case with 2 x 120mm and a side case fan / tube arrangement for blowing room temp air towards the cpu. Does anyone have any suggestions about cooling the cpu - i am trying to decide what fan and heatsink to get.... also - i am a bit worried that the pc3200 may not be overclockable with this board...or at all....i am new but keen to learn more
:)

i have the same board and use ddr 400 i got mine set on 333 so when i overclock it goes back to ddr 400 or slightly higher. I have a 3.2 northwood running 3.8ghz and had my pressy running 3.79 both with 1.5gigs of ram and a Thermaltake Polo 735 heatsink load temp for pressy at 3.8 is 45c stock temp load is 36c pressys load at 3.79 was 55c make sure you get good airflow thats the key to cooling.

The scythe ninja heatsink uses the stock 478 retention bracket so it just clips on with 4 hooks.
It's a highend heatsink and you shouldnt have to worry about temps with it until you get into high ocs.

Another thing to think about is the thermal paste, a syringe/tube of artic silver 5 is good so you should consider getting some of that too.

Back