• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D930 ...what memory settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monty_Python

Hi All,

New to forum and need a hand with my memory settings. See my sig. I'm running my D930(3.0gh) at 3.91Ghz right now. I have been allowing the bios the determine my memory settings as I have oc'd up to the 3.91 mark. Notice I'm keeping my voltage locked at 1.2875v..mobo sometimes reports slightly higher at 1.3v.

Anyway I have OCZ ddr2 pc2-800/6400 ram. at 3.91Ghz what should my memory speed be set at?? My memory timings are 4-5-4-15 which is stock for my OCZ ram. Also I do have my ram voltage locked a 2.1v is stock for OCZ.

What changes should do to my ram settings...I want to go no higher than 4.0Ghz with my cpu.
3906.JPG

leave your ram setting as they are (ie relaxed) until you find your max cpu OC. I like to have my VDDR high while doing this just to remove mem as a consideration from the cpu OC stability testing. OCZ mem usually likes as much VDDR as you can give it.

Once you get your cpu stable, (PCMARK04, p95 are good tests once you think you are at or near max, superpie/sandra are good quick tests as u are raising the fsb) then start tweaking your mem settings.

There is usaually a tradeoff between higher mem speed via the divider settings and lower latencies on the mem via chipset setting in bios. Best combo is determined by what type of workload you want to run regulalrly.

Your mem will likely preform very well at much higher speed, especailly once you raise your vddr - ocz tends to like lots of volts. Before you raise the mem speed tho, find out how tight you can get you mem timings. You should try the max vddr your board will provide - guessing 2.3-2.4V is max for your mobo.

For my folding OC's, i find lower latencies are usually better than an extra bump in speed. But on most real world workloads, i doubt you will notice much (if any) difference ... it will really only show up in benchmarks.

Last edited:
Back