• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i upgrade to 800FSB Xeons...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clo007

well i got a dell precision 650 with dual 2.4ghz/512kb cache/533mhz FSB Xeons and i tried to use CPUFSB to OC them with no prevail...so i am wondering if i can utilize 800mhz fsb Xeons...the reason for the 800mhz is because they can be had for $100 cheaper than the 533mhzfsb and i can get some with 2mb cache instead of the 533's 1mb of cache. I'm looking at stepping up from my 2.4s to either 3.0s or 3.2s--- both the 533 and 800 are 604 pin

thanks for any help guys.

I'd have to say no. The newer Xeon's use much lower core voltage than the older ones do. I don't know if the Dell board has the options to have the vcore lowered automatically.

unfortunetly i cant adjust poop on this dell board...one bad thing about them.
Anywho, thanks for the help..i guess i'll just get me some 3.0ghz/1mb l2 cache/533mhz fsb

clo007 said:
unfortunetly i cant adjust poop on this dell board...one bad thing about them.
Anywho, thanks for the help..i guess i'll just get me some 3.0ghz/1mb l2 cache/533mhz fsb

you can also get the 3.2ghz 2mb L3 cache xeons for about $450 a pair on ebay...

the extra 2mb cache provides about 5-10% in performance gains

You also might try checking at the Dell forums and see what is the fastest processor series supported by your system. I looked on their website but couldn't find any info about the max supported procs.

Back