• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review Evercool VC-RE Twinkling VGA For Chipset Cooler on Ultra-D :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

Hello,

Figured i would post this here instead of cooling section, anyway i bought a Evercool VC-Re Twinkling VGA Cooler for my chipset fan, and i also tried and make the Zalman ZM-NBF47 Northbridge HS Fanless cooler fit but doesnt fit right tried shaving it down still doesnt...Anyway the evercool was 8.95 at SVC.com

All Copper and is lapped pretty nicely from company, here are some pics.

Package

stuff8lk.jpg

nice reflection for this cooler

dsc000754ul.jpg

dsc000764ox.jpg

zalman new super thermal grease zm-stg1 so easy to put on

dsc000724qw.jpg

installing it was a breeze not hard at all

dsc000785iy.jpg

dsc000798ss.jpg

dsc000804mb.jpg

some eye candy from evercool :D half ligts up blue other half red
dsc000869ji.jpg

Temperature with DFI stock cooler with AS5
idle at 45c and load at 52c fan was always on full speed.

Temperature with Evercool Bios read 39c with fan not on full speed with Zalman Super Thermal Grease

i will test load temps in about 5 minutes

Enjoy

nice pics and unbelievably even job with the thermal grease! i put an evercool vc-re on my ultra-d and dropped a couple of degrees so that now it idles at 37C and hits 40C at load. one thing to note is that you have to bend the pins inward in order to make it fit the motherboard, though. on the whole, i've been pretty happy with this little fan.

kovboi said:
nice pics and unbelievably even job with the thermal grease! i put an evercool vc-re on my ultra-d and dropped a couple of degrees so that now it idles at 37C and hits 40C at load. one thing to note is that you have to bend the pins inward in order to make it fit the motherboard, though. on the whole, i've been pretty happy with this little fan.
yea bend the pins inward forgot to mention that thanks, but its fits nicely on it, i really wanted the zalman northbridge cooler to work so i dont have to bother having a fan :p but o well, im really happy with this cooler, like the blue led cant see the red cause of x1800xt :p

figured id share this with dfi owners, and this cooler will fit the following boards :p (this was taken from dfi-street)

DFI Lanparty NF4-D
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR "Expert"
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR "Venus"

DFI NF4 DAGF
DFI NF4 Infinity
DFI NF4 Infinity SLI
DFI NF4X Infinity

DFI Lanparty RDX200 CF-DR
DFI Lanparty CF3200-DR

what is the sound difference?

Would you consider selling the other Zalman you have?

It would really be nice to have better options for cooling.

Know Nuttin said:
what is the sound difference?

Would you consider selling the other Zalman you have?

It would really be nice to have better options for cooling.
sound is lower cause i have it running on low and temps are better than the dfi cooler on high, as for the zalman thing you dont want it cause i grinded it down bended the fins to try m get it to fit lol better off buying it again, just not gonna fit if ur using the first pcie slot.

is it possible to install it without removing the motherboard?

Also, is it alot quieter? Im moving over to water and I dont want to hear that over my pump and other case fans

jcll2002 said:

Also, is it alot quieter? Im moving over to water and I dont want to hear that over my pump and other case fans
No, you have to remove the motherboard.

jcll2002 said:

well i know some ppl cut the back plate on case so u dont have to remove it, but if not ur gonna have to remove it, as for quieter is it cause u dont have to have it running at full speed cause it already out performs the stock dfi one :D

i set smartguardian to run this fan at 30% and it's quieter than my nv silencer (except for booting up when it runs full speed for a second or two).

kovboi said:
i set smartguardian to run this fan at 30% and it's quieter than my nv silencer (except for booting up when it runs full speed for a second or two).
hmmm 30%, wonder what percent is my bios making it run, will try smartguardian :D i love this thing though, just cause of the blue led/red led

redrumy3 said:
well i know some ppl cut the back plate on case so u dont have to remove it, but if not ur gonna have to remove it, as for quieter is it cause u dont have to have it running at full speed cause it already out performs the stock dfi one :D
lol i didnt really understand that.

Over at dfi-street they say you HAVE to remove the mobo, but others say you dont. I just dont want to remove it. so, there isnt or is a way i can change the chipset hs without removing the whole mobo?

jcll2002 said:

Over at dfi-street they say you HAVE to remove the mobo, but others say you dont. I just dont want to remove it. so, there isnt or is a way i can change the chipset hs without removing the whole mobo?
Some people cut a hole on the back of the case where the mobo sits so they have access to the other side of the motherboard.
But even if you are going to do it that way you will have to remove the mobo in order to cut the hole.
So yes, you have to remove the motherboard.

jcll2002 said:

the reason why you need to remove the motherboard is the bayonet pins that hold the stock fan in place. now you could just snip those off (very carefully, mind you) and pop the evercool fan in place without removing the motherboard. but it's much safer to remove the board and, besides, you want to be very careful mounting the fan on the chipset. it's not that hard to remove the motherboard, just time consuming. but on the plus side, it does afford you the opportunity to improve your cable management, too. :p

Thanks for posting this up redrumy3! :thup: I've got 3 Ultra-D boards and bought one for each. I didn't think I had any dead fans on my boards but to my amazement I checked one of them last night (board is less than six months old) and the fan was no longer spinning. Chipset temps were 54C... ouch. :mad: My R.AD0 that I've had since 11/05 is still going strong. This failed fan was on a R.AE0.

harlam357 said:
Thanks for posting this up redrumy3! :thup: I've got 3 Ultra-D boards and bought one for each. I didn't think I had any dead fans on my boards but to my amazement I checked one of them last night (board is less than six months old) and the fan was no longer spinning. Chipset temps were 54C... ouch. :mad: My R.AD0 that I've had since 11/05 is still going strong. This failed fan was on a R.AE0.

NP glad its helping some people out, thats why i started to replace mine right after i got board cause i heard chipset fan dies and my luck it would die during 3 hours of playing counter-strike source and blow up :-D

installing it is easy just have to apply some pressure to get it to fit doesnt really line up with the holes but its fits just have to push it :D temps will be great as well, and the lapping job on it is awesome

No kidding... I can't tell you how long mine had been dead. Hadn't checked that rig in days, and even then I don't often look at all the temps (just cpu). Thankfully it was just folding and not stressing out the chipset like games would do. Plus I have a nice big 120mm in the front of that case... so it had "some" airflow.

Ok, so the holes won't quite line up. I see from your pics that it looks like the holes on the heatsink have a greater diameter between them than the holes on the board. So I'll have to kind of tweak them inward a bit... is that correct?

Any other "mods" necessary?

I was going to replace these chipset coolers with Vantec Iceberg vga coolers, but there was some dremmeling involved to make it fit. I'm happy to see someone found a cooler that will fit with no modding involved. :thup:

Last edited:
harlam357 said:
No kidding... I can't tell you how long mine had been dead. Hadn't checked that rig in days, and even then I don't often look at all the temps (just cpu). Thankfully it was just folding and not stressing out the chipset like games would do. Plus I have a nice big 120mm in the front of that case... so it had "some" airflow.

Ok, so the holes won't quite line up. I see from your pics that it looks like the holes on the heatsink have a greater diameter between them than the holes on the board. So I'll have to kind of tweak them inward a bit... is that correct?

Any other "mods" necessary?

I was going to replace these chipset coolers with Vantec Iceberg vga coolers, but there was some dremmeling involved to make it fit. I happy to see someone found a cooler that will fit with no modding involved. :thup:

yea, i have a tsunami dream case has nice airflow as well, this fan does so well that when i start my pc the fan just start spinning right away guess cause temps are so low on boot my dfi one never did that.

http://files.ihavenofriend.com/dfi/evercool2.wmv
yea holes dont line up but what u do is snap one side in and than push the other side untill u can snap it in not that hard i should of taken a video but i think u can find one on dfi-street let me check for you :)

heres a video http://files.ihavenofriend.com/dfi/evercool2.wmv

u can see when he has to push it to fit

I'm getting ready to replace my stock cooler with the Evercool VC-Re Twinkling VGA Cooler. If I understand right DFI will be useing these on the new DFI MB's

Back