• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual login on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

In august, I'm moving to my new appt and taking my HTPC, HDTV, and 5.1 with me. I use BeyondTV as my mediacenter and I'm considering bringing it out to the living room to share with my new roommates.

Now, currently, I have it startup to a login screen, I login, BTV comes up, as well as other Background programs (MIRC, Azures, filesharing, etc). When I move the mediacenter out to the livingroom, I only want users to be able to access BeyondTV, I also want it to automatically login so I don't miss any recordings if the power goes out.

So here's my plan, create a very limited account to run the mediacenter on. Use "control userpasswords2" to have windows automatically login to this account on startup and use gpedit to limit other account variables. If I want to access my administrator account, I can login (remotely or locally).

Here's the 2 problems I face. Even though I've set it to login the limited user automatically, is it possible to have it automatically login the Administrator account as well (in the background)? That way, both users are always signed in and all the programs are always running, but only the guest account is available for use unless I come along and enter my password.

Secondly, Let's say I use remote desktop to access my administrator account. Although it will not logoff the limited acount usually it'll bring the other user to the login screen. Can both users have full usage of windows at one time (me on remote desktop and my roommates on the local desktop)?

Here's a simpler way of putting it:

I want to create 2 accounts w/ passwords:
-Limited User and Admistrator.
-Limited user only has access to BeyondTV.
-Administrator has several startup programs that need to run in the background.

Upon startup:
-Windows boots up and automatically logs in BOTH accounts running startup programs in both accounts.
-Only the Limited account comes up on the screen as well as BeyondTV.
-Administrator account is logged on but cannot b accessed without a password (entered remotely or locally).
-If Administrator logs in remotely to use the computer, Limited user can also be using the computer simultaneously.

well, that's already activated by default. All that does is allow a fancy windows login screen (rather than a prompt) and it allows multiple users to stay "logged in." Just because 2+ users are logged to windows in doesn't mean 2+ users are actively using windows, it just means while you're switching to another account, the first account will leave the programs running in the background.

The problem is this: In order to initially logon and startup the programs, each user must individually login wait for their programs to start up and then go back to the login screen without logging out, I want windows to automatically log 2 users on at once with absolutely no user intervention.

I also want 2 people to simultaneously use 2 seperate accounts at one time (both locally and remotely),

Two people logged in, running programs at the same time can be done with some software when XP was a beta. It's a limited sort of terminal services.

The other thing I'm not so sure. What programs are those you need to run as admin? Tried runas.exe?

Back