• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program For Copying VHS To PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I just recieved a text on my mobile asking it I could possibly record a VHS to DVD now I wouldn't know where to begin. Could anyone point to the best resource of what I would need and any help guides.

I basically want to record it to my PC in AVI or the best quality file format then crate a DVD with Nero Vision. I also don't want to damage the video in the process as it's of his kids when they where little.

Update: I've done a little research http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/TV_Cards.html here's a list of video capture cards. Which 1 would be the best of the price and good quality I have read that graphics card can be used as a capture card. But I don't think my 6200 has the capability.

Last edited:
i wont recommend a card but most capture cards these days are decent. i would steer clear of the combo cards myself and get a dedicated capture card and im sure it will come with any software you need. unless ur doing private movies or a large collection of tapes it would be more cost effective probably to just get the movie on DVD....almost any movie u can think of is on dvd now available in the states ..not sure about the uk tho.

http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards

Like I said it just to copy a video of my mates kids when they where little I doubt you could get that on DVD. I'm waiting on some replies to some e-mail's I've sent to a website to help me.

get a capture card (pci) and just plug in the vcr into the card (I use a winfast 2000, but it lacks the composite cable :mad: so the video quality is not good...theres a bunch out there (Hauppauge is the best imo)

they all come with software to capture it in many different formats (vcd, mpeg1 & 2, avi).

look on newegg and find which one you think is the best..post in the vid section if you're unsure.

If you're not planning to do hardcore editing, then get a Hauppauge PCI card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=50001772&Manufactory=1772

You should then be able to capture to mpeg2 format, which is dvd compliant. Hauppauge cards are primarily TV tuner cards, but they capture video quite well.

However, if you're planning edit the muck out of that film, I HIGHLY suggest you get a video capture device that will capture to DV-AVI format.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...45&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1745&SubCategory=47

If not, you'll risk out of sync issues with editing mpeg2, especially with long runs (30+ minutes) of video. $80 separates the Hauppauge 500 ($140) from the Canopus 110 ($220).

As for basic video editing software, stay away from Pinnacle Studio 10.x. Ulead VideoStudio is pretty decent for starters. Adobe Premiere Elements would be a step up from those two.

You'll also need a lot of hard drive space - DV-AVI format eats 13GB per hour. Have fun. ;)

Excellent thanks for the links will be looking into getting a Hauppauge from a local Uk vendor ASAP.

If you are going to record then burn onto dvd you definitely should not record into avi format. I would suggest recording as mpg and then burning straight to dvd so you retain as much of the quality of the original.

ATF 2GTalon said:
If you are going to record then burn onto dvd you definitely should not record into avi format. I would suggest recording as mpg and then burning straight to dvd so you retain as much of the quality of the original.

AVI (Audio/Video Interleave) is only a container. That's why just having a .avi file doesn't mean you can play it on your computer - you still need the correct codecs on the machine to be able to playback the footage. Capturing straight to DV-AVI with a capture card such as a Canopus card keeps the file in a digital format that will prevent syncing issues when editing with any non-linear editor like Premiere, MediaStudio, Liquid, Final Cut Pro, etc. So you're partly correct - for best quality, one shouldn't capture straight to DivX/XviD/etc. as you assumed. But capturing to DV-AVI is the best way to move a VHS tape into digital, especially if the footage is to be edited.

In contrast, MPEG and MPEG-2 formats were never meant to be edited. Editing long runs of mpg or mpeg-2 video carries a risk of out-of-sync issues between the audio stream and the video stream. If you must capture to mpeg1/mpeg2, you should be editing with something like Womble.

Back