• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 1,2 Ghz won't overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BREEN

After reviewing several articles about the new Tualatin processors, I decided to buy me one since they show potential and are relatively cheap(Celeron).
After installing I tried to overclock the processor starting slowly.
When I reached FSB 104 the system became unstable soon after POST(while I was running 3dmark 2001) :( . Raising the Vcore didn't help much either as I tried all settings from 1,475V to 1,600V.
My specs:
- Intel Celeron 1,2Ghz SL5Y5
- MSI 815EPT Pro-RAID bios version 7.2(latest)
- 256 MB RAM Corsair PC150 CL2 (also tried 256 MB Apacer PC133 CL2)
- Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS
- Win2k SP2

Is this just a case of bad luck?
suggestions please.
THNX

did you raise the voltage and is this the default intel heatsink?

oh yea. welcome to the forums. :D

I don't have alot of experience with MSI boards. In fact I never had any experience with ASUS boards until recently either. I used to tell people the ABIT ST6 sucked but now ironically I am eating those words. This board so far has been one of the best it seems so far for hitting 1600+MHz. The other it seems is the BD133u. Funny how things like that can change all of a sudden. The reason I didn't like this board to begin with was because it didn;t have vcore adjustment above 1.6v but a little copper wire and patience took care of that.

Now back to your problem:),

I am thinking it is not the cpu but I guess you never know.

How is the PCI divider doing?

Is it on 1/3 or 1/2? I am just checking!

This is strange. What settings do you have available in your bios or on board.

What is the temp like for the cpu core?

This chip should do way over 105fsb at default vcore. Mine does around 120fsb at default.

Check the other components besides the RAM and CPU first. Do you have an el-cheapo NIC or sound card that may not like the increase in PCI bus speed? It's a stretch - after all, the increase is only 1.3 MHz, but you never know. Try OC with an absolute bare-bones (video only) system first, then add components later. Hope it helps, and good luck.

theflyingrat said:
Check the other components besides the RAM and CPU first. Do you have an el-cheapo NIC or sound card that may not like the increase in PCI bus speed? It's a stretch - after all, the increase is only 1.3 MHz, but you never know. Try OC with an absolute bare-bones (video only) system first, then add components later. Hope it helps, and good luck.

Yep always start with the essentials like the Vid card and ram nothing else. Not even a cd rom. I noticed they cut out first before my HD would and that may cause problems. GRanted you are at a real low speed right now and none of these should be problems.

eek, well I have my 1.2 and ST6 arriving tomorrow and suddenly I'm a lot more worried than i was before :(

will post results. Good luck getting your chip higher btw

edit: btw - I registered in december last year and this is my first ever post. Is that a world record? :D

Yeah that is a strange one indeed......NAH:D. I remember you. I am chemhaqr at anandtech. What are you using as a HS on this chip? You remember that I have the st6 also and I am at 1600MHz with it. I think your combo is one of the best right now. I have posted with the dividers down to 125fsb and 1/4 divider although the st6 will work at 1/3 divider at those speeds usually too. My old tualatin would do 166fsb no problems. Check out this thread. I have some screenshots...

http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?threadid=46292

Also there is another thread arounf here someplace where a guy hit 1460MHz with his without a vcore bump. Stories like that tell me that it is his board and not the chip.

ol man - i recognized you as chem from anandtech ;)

I'll be using an SK6 (as per your recommendation) but that won't be arriving until next week so in the meantime I'll be using my fop 32. The kit literally should be here within 10 hours :)

Snow Patrol, HI!!! =)
Do u remember me too? I am "MilkPowderR" in Anandtech forum! I chat with chemhaqr both here and there hehe, and yes.. very good choice of your superb cooler SK-6. That will shove it easy at 1.6Ghz+. BTW, welcome to the overclockers forum :) Check this out to other readers here. Snow Patrol has only few posts in here but he ain't newbie. He's a tough overclocker, hehehe :D

Cyberspace is getting smaller eh:D

One thing snopatrol if you do decide to take your IHS off I would reccomend being careful with the SK6 on the exposed core. I am not sure how the clip works on it but I know the alpha is not that hard of a clip to get to work. If you really have to force down on the clip to get it to go then I would maybe try a shim or something to start out. Maybe take some clear tape and make a shim from that. Keep adding layers until it is thick enough. One thought anyway;)

ol'man, hi

yeah those tiny core inside the IHS is fragile like what ol'man said. From my experience, i noticed that the Fop 32-1's clip was quite hard to snap in to the socket on the Iwill KK266-R. Also bit hard to snap it on the slocket. But the SK-6's clip seem to be nicely designed with its HS that it allows me to snap in on the kk266 and the slocket easier without putting too much pressure I had to do with the Fop32..

oh nevermind the noise, I think im gonna go get a 8000rpm 50cfm Delta 60mm fan on my SK-6 when I get the second slocket(Asus S370-DL) to arrive. =) :burn:

woohoo, 8:30am and the stuff has just arrived! :)

I prolly won't take off the heat spreader for now, but I take it a little bit of ASII wouldn't hurt, or is it not necessary?

Also, I've ordered a 60-80mm fan adaptor to put an 80mm fan on my SK6 when it arrives. None of this 60mm rubbish ;)

Any way, I'm gonna install this thing! Back soon (I hope!!)

snow patrol,

yeah you must apply ASII even with the IHS on. To help the thermal conductivity at maximal as possible. =)

P9200001.jpg

If you're going to go with 80mm fan for the HS, the SK-6 box already includes two different sized sets of wire(see in the right side in the box) that hold the 60mm or 80mm fan on its HS. You'll probably get one like this in the picture. Mine looks exactly the same as the pic below.

P9200010.jpg

I donno if you'll be getting a package like this with your SK-6 order or not..

ok guys, got it all up and running with my fop 32. Haven't overclocked yet, installed xp and motherboard monitor.

However, how do I get motherboard monitor to show me core temps?? It's showing me all my voltages, but sensors 1 2 and 3 are just all showing 0 degrees.

With my last mobo i just used asus probe, so I'm not up to scratch on mbm 5.

:)

Back