• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXTREMELY confused about pumps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

So, let me start out by saying that, yes, I did use the search function. I went through tons of threads and really wasn't able to find what I was looking for, so that's why I'm asking.

With that out of the way, I'm in need of a summer project and so I figured I'd rework my watercooling loop. I went to Autozone a few days and picked up a '77 Bonneville HC to replace the '86 chevette HC that's currently in my loop. It seems like everyone these days recommends the Yate Loon 120mm fans. Will two of these with a shroud be a good idea for the '77 Bonneville core? They'd be pulling air through the HC, not pushing of course. My loop has two blocks in it, a DangerDen RBX on the CPU, and some older, low restriction block on the GPU.

So, that's what I've got in my loop. Which pump should I buy. I've heard good and bad things about the Dangerden D5, as well as good and bad things about the Swiftech MCP655. Both of them are about $80, and from the pictures I've seen, they look like exactly the same pump to me. I've also heard of getting the DDC+ and then switching the top for better performance. So, I've got a plethora of information and I'm extremely confused by it. I really don't want to spend more than $80 +shipping on a new pump, so, which of these pumps would everyone recommend?

Those two pumps are actually exactly the same. Maybe a different color at times but they should be same. I got the MCP655 and I've been loving this thing up. Silent. Good flow. Adjustible pump speed, sorta like a fan controller for your pump, its built right in. Best of all, they usually last quite a while.

Yes the DD5 and MCP655 are both based on the Laing D5 and have the same features. It just matters where you are buying your parts. The DDC+ is getting a pretty good following and it looks pretty strong with I think 4.3M head pressure.

Ok, thanks for clarifying the DD5 and the MCP655 issue. I could have sworn they were the same exact pump. Now, about the DDC+, I've heard good things, but alot of mention about the Radiical tops. As far as I can tell they're only sold in Australia. Is this correct?

Many people purchase the DDC+ (MCP355 as well I believe) over the D5 because of noise issues... let's put it this way, my HDD is louder than my waterpump so I'm not really sure how much quieter it could be. Then again I'm not very sensitive in hearing.

If you go with a stock DDC+ you will have a small problem with the barb sizes, as the DDC+ uses 3/8".

To be honest, either pump will do fine. A stock D5 will outperform on your RBX though.

yate loons just have decent performance with low noice, its of importance to note that they are 25MM thick vs the 38MM thickness recommended for use with processor fans (i think those are the right numbers btw.) they make great case fans though. i belive its a pressure issue with the 25 vs the 38 on processors. i'm not sure the same is true for using them with a rad. just FYI.

Time4aMassiveOC said:
yate loons just have decent performance with low noice, its of importance to note that they are 25MM thick vs the 38MM thickness recommended for use with processor fans (i think those are the right numbers btw.) they make great case fans though. i belive its a pressure issue with the 25 vs the 38 on processors. i'm not sure the same is true for using them with a rad. just FYI.
I use two Yate Loons on my BIP2 pulling air through (I haven't cut the plastic on my case yet to allow me to use push/pull, but they are great. Nice and quiet, but still move air. Glad I bought extras :)

Heatercores are not the ideal solution for a low noise setup in which one would emply yate loon fans.
the above fans are great for thermochill rads and the likes (some, not all)

with the density and depth of the bonneville, you woul be best off getting high pressure 38mm fans and throttling them down on a rheo to your noise prefference. (Sanyo Denki, Coolermaster Alu, H1a etc)

Back