• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Tygon smells like Dexcool...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinitevalence

Well this is the frist time i have used Tygon and Dexcool, and im wondering if other people have seen anything like this. When you get up close to the tubes you can very clearly smell the dexcool. Added to that is the fact that my Tline is slowly evaporating. AFAIK i have a good seal on the cap, but who knows its kinda ghetto. I know i have no leaks, i checked and i did a 24hr test when i set this WC rig up.

Any ideas/suggestions?

the first time I used waterwetter everything ended up smelling like waterwetter- the most recent time I used it there's no smell. the only thing that changed was going from 1/2" id | 5/8" od (smelled) to 1/2" id | 3/4" od (no smell)

infinitevalence said:
Well this is the frist time i have used Tygon and Dexcool, and im wondering if other people have seen anything like this. When you get up close to the tubes you can very clearly smell the dexcool. Added to that is the fact that my Tline is slowly evaporating. AFAIK i have a good seal on the cap, but who knows its kinda ghetto. I know i have no leaks, i checked and i did a 24hr test when i set this WC rig up.

Any ideas/suggestions?

What kind of Tygon is it? To me, it sounds like the coolant is perspiring through the tubing...

Then again I don't know that much.

SolidxSnake said:
What kind of Tygon is it? To me, it sounds like the coolant is perspiring through the tubing...

Then again I don't know that much.

I would hope that no tubing that anybody's watercooling setup uses would "perspire." :eek:

Alien1099 said:
I would hope that no tubing that anybody's watercooling setup uses would "perspire." :eek:

i thought it was a relitivly known thing :S, one of the first things i learnt from these forums.

Tygon does have a smell to it, but not knowing waht ddexcool smells like, i wouldnt know.

its not somehtign stupid like a piot of dexcool under your nose is it ?

I don't know what Dexcool is, or what it smells like, so I can't offer you any advice there. As for the evaporation, yes, under normal conditions some water will evaporate slowly out of your loop. Tygon is slightly permeable and therefore, you will have to add water every once in a while.

well he has thin-walled - only 1/16" wall on 3/8"ID x 5/8"OD - thinner tubing, especially tygon, which is semi-permeable, so some of the water + antifreeze definitely started to evaporate

same thing with the 1/2"ID x 5/8"OD tubing w/ 1/16" wall, moving to 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD leaves you with a 1/8" wall which is thicker than youre older tubing - the thicker wall let less water evaporate through them

Back