• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WGA Tool May Switch Your PC OFF! In The Future

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This whole WGA thing is really ****ing me off. I run legit copies of XP that I paid for and I let them do their thing with WGA one time already. Why should my computers have to send those asshats more info every time I boot up. I just checked this morning at Winblows Update and before it would tell me if I needed any updates, it wanted to install yet more effing updates to their WGA crap. :mad: I let it install an update to WGA only a month or so ago and now they want to throw even more crap on my machine (and spy on me too it seems, from reading some linked articles). So I didn't let it install even more of their spyware crap and just blew off any more updates until I can get them somewhere else.

And these asshats wonder why so many people loathe them. :rolleyes:

I like XP a lot, but with crap like this happening more and more, I guess it's getting to the point where I'll be forced to try to learn Linux so I don't have to put up with Microsoft's antics. :(

muddocktor said:
This whole WGA thing is really ****ing me off. I run legit copies of XP that I paid for and I let them do their thing with WGA one time already. Why should my computers have to send those asshats more info every time I boot up. I just checked this morning at Winblows Update and before it would tell me if I needed any updates, it wanted to install yet more effing updates to their WGA crap. :mad: I let it install an update to WGA only a month or so ago and now they want to throw even more crap on my machine (and spy on me too it seems, from reading some linked articles). So I didn't let it install even more of their spyware crap and just blew off any more updates until I can get them somewhere else.

And these asshats wonder why so many people loathe them. :rolleyes:

I like XP a lot, but with crap like this happening more and more, I guess it's getting to the point where I'll be forced to try to learn Linux so I don't have to put up with Microsoft's antics. :(

Even a monkey with a cigarette in it's mouth could learn linux. You could too if it came to it (lets hope it doesn't)

What specifically was in this update. I haven't looked into it yet myself. But playing the Devil's advocate, like I enjoy doing... Are you certain that there is another method by which they will spy on you...or is it posible that they are fixing a potential security hole or stability issue that the software you already allowed them to install may have caused.

I don't have the answer as of yet myself, but I will wait befor I format C:

As a side, I personally hope to be at the least familiar with every OS that comes down the pike. Why paint yourself into a corner with anyones software.

After years of trying to get people to consider the Linux desktop, it seems a little odd that only Microsoft could achieve this

UnseenMenace said:
After years of trying to get people to consider the Linux desktop, it seems a little odd that only Microsoft could achieve this

Isn't that the truth. :D

I played a little with a Mandrake distro years ago, but since this isn't my main profession I had no real incentive to learn it then. Nowdays, I hear that it's gotten a lot simpler to install and update, so I'm seriously considering the Linux option now. My main holdup right now is d/l'ing the iso's, since my sat broadband is subject to the fap (fair access policy), which presently limits me to how much data I can download over a 2-3 hour period. :rolleyes: I'll have to get a friend with cable or dsl to d/l the iso's for me.

Cheator said:
Well distros like ubuntu can be mailed to you for free.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. I'm going to look into Ubuntu right now. I have a Win2K system down right now due to a power outage borking something on the OS (I think, though it could be the hard drive too).

/me heads over to the Linux forum. :D

muddocktor said:
Hey, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. I'm going to look into Ubuntu right now....
/me heads over to the Linux forum. :D
They mailed me at my office aproximately 50 install CDs in two display cases. I only have about ten left. I was handing them out like it was Halloween.

Works pretty well. The only thing I wasn't psyched about was that the Live CD didn't have my wireless driver...but that was the only driver it was missing.

I got an notify shield yesterday about another WGA download but this is basically an update version from the one last month. To stop it from sending data out everytime you boot up the problem is now I've no idea when it sends out ifno to MS. Is it at the end of every month or when I use Microsoft Update I don't understand it thou if it installs.

And knows it's a legit copy why does it have to keep doing every month or everytime it's toally f**king stupid.

snafumaster said:
They mailed me at my office aproximately 50 install CDs in two display cases. I only have about ten left. I was handing them out like it was Halloween.

Works pretty well. The only thing I wasn't psyched about was that the Live CD didn't have my wireless driver...but that was the only driver it was missing.
Yeah the wireless support is even shotty in the OS itself. But with Ndiswrapper (the newest version) my wireless and most work flawlessly. You just have to be willing to work with it. Mukk if you want a copy of Ubuntu, PM me. Just got 10 32bit from Shipit.

Last edited:
Feel free to PM me if you want a copy of either the installer or alternate install CD for Kubuntu.

I burned them to Cd and should have no problem copying them back to the system and then burning a few copies.

I think I have the installer for Ubuntu too but I would have to check.

Wow. I just love this article and the ZDNet article it refers to -- they're just dripping with FUD!

I commend them for trying to spread the word that something like this may be happening, but methinks they go slightly too far. Not only is this unconfirmed, but the information was first "leaked" by some dude working phone support. Honestly, how many times have you called a tech support number and found the guy on the other end to either a) not know what he's talking about, or b) invent stuff to scare you into doing something?

Now, I will admit that Microsoft certianly isn't making themselves look any better by refusing to confirm or deny anything, but think about it... If they were planning on implementing it, what would be the difference in confirming it now instead of in 4 months (when it supposedly going to happen)? None. If they were planning on not implementing it, why not deny it outright instead of letting speculation grow for 4 months?

My personal guess is that their refusal to confirm or deny is indicative of one of two things. Either Microsoft has considered the idea and is unsure wether they actually want to do it, or they hadn't considered doing it (prior to the email from ZDNet) and and are unsure weather they actually want to do it.

JigPu

Wouldn't it just try to install itself again?

You could try to find out where it's calling home to/what the program name is and block that (maybe not the IP, but the program)...but if it can't get out to verify it may be assumed you have a pirated copy and you're back at square one.

At this point, I only install critical updates with Automatic Update. Since I don't have WGA on my machine, I just plain don't go to WU.ms.com. To make sure it doesn't automatically install WGA on my machine, I check the golden shield when it pops up, if there's a WGA tool in there, I uncheck it, hit ok and confirm that I don't want it to ever remind me of this update.

Back