• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nate1054

First of all I have a AMD Athlon XP 3000+, ASUS A7N8X motherboard, and ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU 92mm. I am not sure when it started but when ever I played games for too long my computer would over heat. I partially think it is overheating because the room where my computer is on the other side of the house from the AC so it doesn't cool as well. But something that really confused my was one time I decided to reapply the Artic Silver. When I took off the heat sink part of it looked like it was burnt. What is wrong with it, I am not positive but I don't think something that is made to handle heat is supposed to burn. It is not dust or anything because even right after I clean it out it can still overheat. The only thing I can really do is to open the side and put a fan up next to it.

Make sure you clean the old thermal paste properly and reapply correctly as well - look for online guides on how to do this if you're not sure (there are plenty).

Also, make sure you air flow paths in your case are defined and have not been blocked recently. Soemthing as simple as a flat IDE cable turned in the wrong way can seriously alter the ambient temp in a small case.

HTH

Back