• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati + Riva Tuner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've tried to but couldn't figure it totally out. Seems like a nice little program and wouldn't mind playing around with it just it doesn't seem as user friendly as ATI Tool though. But it does have more features.

I did when I had a modded x800pro. I always had bugs/issues with high overclocks using ati tool. Riva is very well done, easy to use imo, and it keeps ati's tight memory timings when overclocking. I read once that ati tool will loosen them.

I would just try both (not at the same time) and see which one you like better. My problems with ati tool were on a highly overclocked card on the old agp platform so it's not an indicator you will have problems with your card.

ATI tray tool is another popular one. If w1zzard likes it enough to package it with his omegadrivers, it must be good.

rivatuner for me was only good for NVIDIA cards - now i use ATITool, but i do my own testing for artifacts, i just use it to bump up the speeds.

veryhumid said:
Riva is very well done, easy to use imo, and it keeps ati's tight memory timings when overclocking. I read once that ati tool will loosen them.

ATI Tool doesn't loosen memory timings. The OC utility does though and is very noticeable when it does. I've seen in a few posts though that CCC even loosens timings.

deathman20 said:
ATI Tool doesn't loosen memory timings. The OC utility does though and is very noticeable when it does. I've seen in a few posts though that CCC even loosens timings.

Are you saying that ATI Tool's OC utility loosens memory timings? I can't parse that sentence.

veryhumid said:
deathman is right, I confused ati tool. the overclock utility in CCC called overdrive is the one that loosens them.

this also might apply to this tool: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/89 sometimes just called "OC."

Yup, and mainly applys for the OC utility that you pointed to. I know that utility does it for sure. I havn't done any tests on CCC to see it do it then again usally the memory goes further then what CCC can provide.

My prime example that I ran into when I was OCing was with my X1800XL.

Default V could hit 800Mhz on the memory. Yet CCC if not mistaken the box tops out at 600Mhz (made it on default), and ATI Tool which did 625 before it craped out. Then at 730Mhz with 2.2/2.1V on memory I was able to score 9838 points in 05 with a 625 core clock. With OC and the 800Mhz with a 650 core clock I couldn't even break 9k. Mind you there was 1 driver or 2 drivers between them so points could of gone up with the OC one but thats nearly a 1000 points where talking about.

Yea, thanks for the insight guys. I will probably use ATiTool off the bat, just due to the fact that you can adjust the voltages on the card on the fly, and the artifact-checker is right there. I currently use Riva with my nvidia card, so navigating that piece of software is not really an issue. Gonna avoid CCC like the plague, probably use 3rd party drivers just to avoid all the ATI bloat that has become encorporated in the official Cat's. Any suggestions on 3rd party drivers ? (I know that the Omega's are very popular). The card should be arriving either Fri or Mon, and I am stoked to return to the 'red team' (used a 9800pro->xt 256 r360 before this nvidia card).

The artifact checker isn't really that a good tool to use. Only use the 3D View to heat up the card (and it heats it up big time way past what other programs have done). The artifact checker is an on/off thing, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The guy is working on fixing it for the X1k series cards so that it works properly.

Just don't base alot of hope in that checker.

Of course I will check for artifacts with 3DM05/06, but the quick and dirty testing can be done with the ati tool checker, no?
Also, looking at/ reading about NGO optimized drivers (come packaged w. ATi Tray Tools)... any opinions on these?

Back