• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which upgrade: sound card or hdd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GáTê©rÀ$Hë®

hey all,
just need a good suggestion. i currently have an audigy2 zs n z5500 setup,
would i notice a big difference if i upgrade to hda x-plosion? basically i want to use digital instead of analog. would that affect to better sound(5.1) in games?

or should i just buy another 74gb raptor n setup raid-0?

or save the money for sumthing else??:rolleyes:

ta!

IMO the difference in games would be very minimal. For gaming I still don't think raid 0 is worth it.

In short, if I were you I would save the money for something else.

personally neither upgrades seems worth it to me. And looking at your rig, I don't see a clear upgrade path other than to AM2, but that would cost more than the cost of a raptor or the X-Plosion

wait for the AMD price drop and go opty 165 or 170

much better upgrade IMO than either of those

yeah I agree with everyone and seconds JMT's comment with a 165/170 if you must upgrade something. Other than that just save for a rainy day.

Here's another vote for picking up an Opteron. Or building another rig for a specific purpose/fun. Always neat to have another server around. :)

I have a very similar rig. I am getting low on disk space on my raptor and have thought of either a second 74 gig to set up a RAID 0 array or sell the one I have and get a 150 GB.
A second drive is called for if you are running low on storage space otherwise the one you have is fine.

For games I feel the audigy 2 is good enough so maybe just save up for something else.

Back