• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE Controller Failure Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marker

Has anyone ever has a single channel on an IDE controller fail?

I have an ASUS P5AD2-E mobo that has worked flawlessly for 2 years. The other day, I could no longer write a CD-RW drive connected as the slave to the IDE controller. The master DVD-RW drive continued to wrok fine. The CD-RW drive was from an older Dell computer so I assumed it failed and figured it would be a good time to upgrade to a second DVD-RW drive so I ordered a second NEC DVD-RW drive.

I hooked the new drive up yesterday and it would not work. In fact when I press eject to put a CD in, the light just stays on for a few minutes and then goes out. I also noticed that during boot, the light stays on much longer than the first drive. Hmmmm, bad drive? I moved it the to master channel (connector) and it worked fine. I had the drives (properly) jumpered as master slaves, but I moved both to cable select just to test... same problem. After quite a bit of testing, both drives work fine on the master channel, but neither works on the slave channel.

Only thing I haven't tried is a different cable (which I will try), but I doubt a cable would just fail after working fine for a long time. I have never had a single channel on an IDE controller fail, but I guess it is possible.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of getting an add on IDE card. The problem I gives me an excuse to upgrade, but I want to put off a new motherboard until the conroe chips an boards are readily available.

Back