• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am2 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

so If I sell my current rig, im going to upgrade to am2, are there any really nice processors I should wait for, or just get a dual core? And which one would be good for overclocking.

If you got a pretty nice system now, I would wait before going AM2. Unless someones gonna pay you a bit for your rig now. If you really need to upgrade now, then definatly build an AM2 system. I wouldn't go all out on the processor though, but atleast you will have a board that will last you awhile.

depends, what kind of system do you have now? if you have a 939 system, no, upgrade not worth it, if athlon xp or p4, or older, ok

but if you can wait, i would, price drops are comin at end of july :D

Have to agree with M, unless you have a low end 939 mobo, crappy DDR1 or adding new folding rigs then wait. I just bought a refurb Biostar 6100 in the 939 since I have the ram and a spare chip.

Opteron 100s in AM2 are on the way and give ram makers time to battle down the latencies and DDR2 prices.

i will wait and go with younger model conroe duo.this cpu should clock very well.and it clock for clock faster than amd.intel became the leader.but eveything depand in price . i will go with best price performance avaible from intel or amd

i am talking about the future cpu "Duo E4200 " the price of this cpu should be $145-163

about the same price as the X2 3600+ slated to come soon(139-160), this will be the best bang/buck from AMD....add the possibility of RHT and the possibility of using 2 in '4x4' and you got yourself a powerhouse quad-core for less than any quad-core intel puts out(and we're talkin 2 chips + mobo < 1 intel quad-core)

but the RHT and '4x4' are speculation('4x4' isn't spec, just wether or not lower X2's will work on it is)

Jmag034 said:
E6300 allendale is 180, and conroe boards are expensive

X2 3800 is 169 and boards are cheap
Sure that is true but look at how much more performance you are going to get from the Conroe. IIRC, Intel is releasing a set of cheaper Core 2 Duo chips. The downside to them is they only come equiped with 2mb of Cache vs the 4mb on the higher end models.

i am pretty sure that @ stock amd should be better but if borth overclocked the intel will win by far...
so if u look for cheap cpu @ stock go with amd
if u look for cheap cpu @ max :D go with intel
note:i am taking about 3600+ vs e4200

makaka said:
i am pretty sure that @ stock amd should be better but if borth overclocked the intel will win by far...
so if u look for cheap cpu @ stock go with amd
if u look for cheap cpu @ max :D go with intel
note:i am taking about 3600+ vs e4200
Now hold on there. Are you absolutely sure? You sound like proven FAQs.
Read what our Intel members finding out about 2mb cache.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=465961

dont know how and where they find those benchmark but the E6600 showed better result than fx 5000+ .the E6600 is clocked @ 2.4 ghz so basicly is u overclock the 4200 to 2.6 u should get rowlly the same performance.
it is not too hard to get those clock and even higher from the E4200
sorry those benchmark are russian but there is enough benchies pics
conroe e6600:santa:

in any case lets wait we will get exact result soon :D

I've seen Core2 compatable mobo's for as little as $60 chill on the expensive mobo rant untill they come out ;)

I want to see what the $75 Asrock X-Fire can do for the budget builders :D (It went retail in Japan already but I havn't seen any FSB news on it yet)

greenmaji said:
I've seen Core2 compatable mobo's for as little as $60 chill on the expensive mobo rant untill they come out ;)

I want to see what the $75 Asrock X-Fire can do for the budget builders :D (It went retail in Japan already but I havn't seen any FSB news on it yet)
yeah fsb is highly limiting conroe overclocking capability lets hope that newer motherboard will come out with higher oc potential :)

makaka said:
yeah fsb is highly limiting conroe overclocking capability lets hope that newer motherboard will come out with higher oc potential :)

HAHA!! I said FSB ASSuming everyone knew that.. Thanks for covering the the info. gap there :beer:

Anyone know how well AM2s overclock?

Im going to upgrade from my AthlonXP 3000+ to an Athlon64 X2 4400+ after the price drop and get am AM2 board.

How well will this sucker overclock? I'll be using watercooling...

I've never really OCed before so I'm not sure if you can change multipliers with athlon64s. I believe the 4200/4400 come with 10x multiplier... would it be better to grab a 4600+ with less cache and a 11x multiplier as compared to a 4400+ with a 10x mult. and 2mb cache?

Uhh Core2 clocks ALOT better..

but, to answer your question, AM2's clock marginaly better then their 939 counterparts :)

Antioch said:
Anyone know how well AM2s overclock?

Im going to upgrade from my AthlonXP 3000+ to an Athlon64 X2 4400+ after the price drop and get am AM2 board.

How well will this sucker overclock? I'll be using watercooling...

I've never really OCed before so I'm not sure if you can change multipliers with athlon64s. I believe the 4200/4400 come with 10x multiplier... would it be better to grab a 4600+ with less cache and a 11x multiplier as compared to a 4400+ with a 10x mult. and 2mb cache?
3 ghz sould be dowable in watercooling:) .but wait maybe u should look to conroe cpu first .the one with best /performance price should be your :santa:

Back