• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows utility to alter FSB of Core (2) Duo Motherboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smilingcrow

Is there a Windows program that can alter the FSB of a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo motherboard? I seem to recall that Aopen provide a utility that allows this with their 975X based Core Duo board, so I’m wondering if there’s a generic solution that supports Intel chipsets.

I’m aware that Clockgen can do this, but only for a limited number of compatible boards. I’m wondering what other utilities are available that also do this.

Since I want to under-clock as well as over-clock the FSB I'm wondering what the lower limit will be. 800 shouldn't be a problem for desktop boards as some chips use that anyway; is 667 going to be possible with the desktop chipsets (965)?

I can understand wanting to undervolt and/or drop the multi but the FSB???

the PPL isnt compatable with some of the new Core2 mobo's with clockgen, SoftFSB has been contacted with a request for an update I dont know about clockgen :shrug:

The Bios is always an option :shrug:

btw.. these should be compatable with smithfeilds and some of them are 566FSB stock.

greenmaji said:
I can understand wanting to undervolt and/or drop the multi but the FSB???
The Bios is always an option :shrug:
btw.. these should be compatable with smithfeilds and some of them are 566FSB stock.
I checked the P965 chipsets and it supports 533 MHz, so dropping the FSB should be no problem.
The reason for wanting to drop the FSB is this:
Core 2 Duo uses a minimum multiplier of 6; this means that Speedstep is restricted by this and can’t go lower. If I over-clock an E6600 to 1333 FSB, its minimum speedstep setting becomes 2GHz which is too high for me. For general computing needs I don’t need a Conroe @ 3 GHz, so I can set the FSB at 533 or 667, undervolt the CPU and get a nice low power setup. When I need the extra performance, I run a different copy of CrystalCPUID with the voltages optimized for over-clocking, then up the FSB to 1333 or higher. Doing this in software is much quicker than entering the BIOS.
This is a bit like having an X6800 and a U2500 in one chip. With the FSB at 533 the E6600 runs at 1.2 GHz like the U2500; push the FSB up to 1333 and the E6600 is hitting 3 GHz which puts it in X6800 territory.

:eek: Less CPU power :eek:

Ok.. saving some power is OK ;) :p

I was thinking undervolting only :p

Back