• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m2n-e problems...major

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabregreen

Registered
Ok. Just bought the parts for a build this week. Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon64 3800+ am2
Asus M2N-E
Corsair value select ddr2667 2x512
seagate 160gb sata2 hd
Fortron 400w PS
Chengmin case
EVGA 7300GT pci-e
Liteon dvd-ram burner w/lightscribe...has the 16sh something something is the model

Ok. Computer boots, go into bios. First problem is the temps are off the charts. Its reading the cpu as 78-92deg celcius and the mobo 79-85 deg celcius. I have reseated the cpu 3 times with as5, rule that out. It doesnt make sense anyways. It would be different if one or the other was getting real hot, but for both to read off the chart like that is something else. Also, the cpu heatsink doesnt get the warm to the touch, a lot cooler than the NB copper heatsink pipe, which feels quite warm, but not 80deg celsius thats for sure.

Next problem is OS wont install. I get blue screens before I can even format during windows setup. The furthest I got was select ntfs to format. 99% of the time it doesnt even make it past the driver loading at the beginning without bluescreening to a IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_THAN garbage. All of the blue screens have apci.sys as the file it can't load. Ive tried more than one install disk as well. I ran a memory test and I get errors in the memory, but I have a feeling its not the memory. My best opinion is that its the motherboard. Any other suggestions ? This is really frustrating. Thanks!

A few things to check:

1. When you first boot and go into the bios, check the temps right away. If they show 78+C right away, as opposed to climbing, I'd suspect a corrupt bios.

2. If, however, they are climbing, take a look at the HSF. Assuming that you're using the stock one, and also assuming that you're using the "grain of rice" method of AS5 application, the AS5 should be spreading out in a nice circle to cover from the center to the edge, or nearly the edge, of the heatspreader.

3. If #2 is true, then you can rule out the HSF. Run memtest 86 and make sure your memory is OK. If memtest shows no errors, flash the bios and see if that solves the issue.

Always check your memory voltages. Make sure that the board is supplying the factory suggested voltage, and if its something like x.85 go for x.9. I had a similar problem like this in the past and simple change of voltage fixed it. Goodluck.

doesnt BSOD usually mean memory problems? of course there are other things that can trigger memory failure...but yeah...I'd run memtest86 like hafa said.

Sorry for taking so long to get b ack. I was out of town for the weekend. I flashed the bios to the 2003 version I believe from 1003. Didn't fix it. I tried that right away cause my first guess was corrupt bios. I do get memory erros with memtest like i said, but also like i said, i think its the motherboard instead. The mem voltage was 1.85 which should be fine. Should have no affect on the temps reading in the bios. But I will bump it to 1.9 to see.

I just checked. voltages are all fine. However, the cpu temp starts off at 48deg celsius right off the bat and the chipset at 37 deg celsius. Nothing feels warmer than my amd opteron 170 @ 2.5 with stock heatsink.

sabregreen said:
I just checked. voltages are all fine. However, the cpu temp starts off at 48deg celsius right off the bat and the chipset at 37 deg celsius. Nothing feels warmer than my amd opteron 170 @ 2.5 with stock heatsink.

Memtest is pretty conclusive, but I would not rule out the motherboard. The only way to be sure is to test the memory using memtest on another motherboard. If the memory does not fail this test, it's likely the motherboard should be RMA'd.

Thats the problem. Being that i dont have a ddr2 system, its kind of hard to swap it into another system right now. No one that i know around here has one. I don't feel like buying more memory just to test it out nor take it to a shop just to test it cause I know the shops around here that really aren't that great.

If it's saying 92c... wow... easy way to see if it's true is touch the heatsink, 100c is boiling so 95c if it is that, would give you a good burn and let you know that's accurate.

edit - typo fixed

See thats the thing. Its not that warm to the touch. The chipset is definitely hotter than the cpu, but not 90 let alone 70 deg celsius. Its about the same temp as my opty 170 @ 2.5 to the touch.

This is why I just got an rma for the motherboard. If it comes back and I still get memory, then the memory goes back too.

As far as apci.sys error during install, if you are installing windows with a PCI-e video card and you aren't you using a XP SP2 install CD, install will hang everytime with that error. As for the temp problem, just sounds like you need to RMA the board.

So rma'd the board and memory. Got the board back, fixed mobo temp but cpu temp is still high, but only 54c. Still was getting memory errors though. Got memory back today, went to install OS and it still gives me read errors from the disc. I know the disc is fine. I've used it on many many machines. I reformat and build computers weekly. Its not the disc. I tried a different drive, and I still get the read errors. This is extremely irritating. The only thing I can think of now is the CPU. Rare instance if it is. Any other suggestions ?

M2N E

I have the M2N 32 sli and am having the same problems. It has to do with the memory. Go to Newegg.com to the comments on these mobo's and you will see several about our problems The memory mhz and timings have to be set in the bios for the board to work. AUTO does not do the job anymore. These boards are also apparently very picky on what brand of memory they will accept. I am working my way thru the process of setting the timings on mine. Good luck.

This might help...

I've been reading reviews and forums about the Asus M2N-E lately and I remember one person having trouble with this board and a Lightscribe drive. Once the drive was removed the computer booted fine.

Just a thought, good luck and I hope I don't have the same problems with my board (I ordered it yesterday).

I pretty much have the same spec as you do, and haven't had that many problems...only that it kept on restarting randomly...i think its fixed now...but onto your problem...

its possible that you overlooked something, like the data cable, or the disc could be in bad shape. Have you used the disc recently? If you changed all that, then it might as well be the CPU.

Oh and the temp probe seems a little high on my side too. 39-41 idle and 56-57 full load on both cores (prime95)

Back