• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems With Abit Kg7 Boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wolfsid

OK I just recieved my new kg7 board from abit test it for boot up before i installed it, It posted ok now to go tru the long hall of the watercooling setup dual radatior, Z4 waterblock had the maze 2-1 works nice but the Z4 is better, also a 156watt pelter a mb block and a videocard block... new bios i updated as soon as i install 2000 pro also i installing all the amd761 and via drivers... processor is a xp1600+ with some ocz 2400 ram 768 megs boot up fine the first time but after running for a little while and i restart it, it has one long beep after another i figure that it says that it doesn't detect my cpu... tried everthing to get it to boot up again and the only thing that worked was to rest the cmos which i really don't feel like doing everthing this happens... should i reture the board and get a new one or is it something else... anyone else have the same problem or pretty close to the same thing... Please respond someone help me out on this... Wolfsid AKA Blackbox

Hack the planet.:cool:

Yes I already updated tp w5 the latest bios and i still have problems, Boot up is very slow i replaced the cmos battery it helped a little now i don't have to mess with the power switch to get it to boot. But i am now having problems with my videocard it doesn't work.... I never had this many problems with asus boards, But i guess there is a first for everthing. I need to find out why my computer keeps freezing on me evertime i go to boot to windows it freezes at random..

abit Kg7 not lite but not raid either JUST KG7
switch from ocz 2400 ram to pc2100 from cruciel
xp1600+
geforce 2 gts pro getting geforce 3 ti 500 today in a couply of hrs waiting on fedex..LOL.
sb card 168bit

anyone knows why the kg7 freezes at random... someone help before i RMA the board back.. Thanks Wolfsid AKA Blackbox

Hack the planet. :burn:

I had similar problem with my KG7 and I can tell you what my problem was (and I hope its the same problem for you because it was kinda easy to fix).

The DDR memory is very very very hard to seat correctly and remain seated. I had to fight the suckers for hours to get them to seat AND remain seated after the system warmed up. This also led to random freezes. Very frustrating, but you have to push those suckers in and wiggle them a bit to make sure they seat right.

Hope this helps.

i dont know if that board is the same as the kt7a in as far as you need registered ram to use all 3 slots of ram (on the kt7a, and i think on all of abits boards, too, but i could be wrong).

having unregistered ram on more than 2 slots caused instability, registry corruption and several other fun things on my kt7a board.

stinky is right... try different setups run using only 2 sticks if that dont work use 1... make sure u start from dimm4 and work ur way down

Good catch Steenky. You can't put more than 2 unregistered sticks in those slots.

azhari said:
I had similar problem with my KG7 and I can tell you what my problem was (and I hope its the same problem for you because it was kinda easy to fix).

The DDR memory is very very very hard to seat correctly and remain seated. I had to fight the suckers for hours to get them to seat AND remain seated after the system warmed up. This also led to random freezes. Very frustrating, but you have to push those suckers in and wiggle them a bit to make sure they seat right.

Hope this helps.

This is soo true with this board. Happened to me also

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my KG7-RAID and Athalon XP 1700. I tried the 5e and 5w BIOS updates, and they both had the same problem. I went back to the 4j version, the one released right before the XP BIOS and it help with the CMOS problem. Now the only problems I am having is it locks up randomly ( predictably when I try and run 3DMark 2000 or 2001); I also have to hold the reset button down for about 5 seconds when I reset through Windows.

Hope this helps.

Abit KG7-RAID
AMD Athalon XP1700
512 MB unregistared DDR Ram
Elsa Erazor 3 (TNT 2)
Windows 98 SE

Any of you guys know where i can get the Mass Storage Controller drivers for my KG7 RAID? i lost the floppy disk that first came with the mb

wolfsid - Here's an idea for you. The new BIOS rev. from abit will usually look for a fan rpm signal on the main fan header. Since your watercooled maybe you overlooked this or maybe I'm wrong:beer:

Thanks Guys for all the info but its too late i rma it back and i guess i will try it all out on the new board i get hopefully a new revsion, And yes i do work my way from dimm 4 down and i used 3 sticks to 2 to 1 and didn't make a differenct for some reason i see some people getting fsb to 150 and up and i can't get mine to 134-155 with ocz cas 2 pc2400 ram this is driving me nuts i think it was the board if not then i will find out with the ram trick i got from the Post in here thanks alot again guys good work...:beer: Wolfsid Aka BlackBox

I just faced the only problems under windows 2000 with the lastes VIa4in1 drivers on my KG7 RAID board, I installed the PCI/IDE drive update and when ever I tried to install a program from a cd it would just give me an error on my temp/registry some ****ed up ****.

Back