• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is posible to install Xp with CD-rom drive on laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioS

A laptop with stolen dvd drive. This laptop's BIOS doesn't support or detect external dvd/cd drive during boot in BIOS mode, but it dose support external USB Floppy. I just wonder are there any method to install Xp with Floppy disks? Assuming i already have Xp files copied to HD.

A laptop with stolen dvd drive. This laptop's BIOS doesn't support or detect external dvd/cd drive during boot in BIOS mode, but it dose support external USB Floppy. I just wonder are there any method to install Xp with Floppy disks? Assuming i already have Xp files copied to HD.

Stolen DVD???

Somebody stole the DVD drive of his notebook. So now he doesn't have one anymore and therefore can't install Windows anymore on said notebook.

You could probably find a used dvd drive or even a cd drive for that laptop. That would be much easier.

Do a google search on install methods of Windows XP. I think I've heard of a way to install it using floppies.

Also forget to memtion, some one whom stole that DVD drive which connect with special adaptor too.. It's no where to find or buy this adaptor beside specail order from toshiba i guess.

If you put the XP cd in another computer there is an application on the cd to make floppy boot disks for it if I remember correctly.

If you have a spare PC you could do a remote install. Just download the free trial of Windows Server 2003 from MS, copy the CD to that computer, and then set the laptop to PXE boot. It will then copy the files from that PC to your laptop. That is how I deal with my laptop that I use for testing/experimenting. It has a bad DVD drive, but installs XP over the network great. I even amde an automated install so all I need to do is boot the laptop and hit F12 to network boot. Then walk away for a couple of hours, and I am good to go.

use dos

partition the harddrive into 2 sections

copy the cd contents to the 2nd partiion via an external USB drive possibly or external HD

you can run XP setup via dos - i had to do it once on an old toshiba that couldnt boot from cd rom

Back