• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP "This copy of windows is not genuine."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goober35

Registered
I just got this message when booting up my laptop. I am now locked out and can not get in and i need lots of suff off this laptop IE checking and law cases. Need help getting in ASAP. It is the standerd enter your username and passwaord kinda deal when you boot up but i dont have one.:bang head

I have a new genuine copy of XP pro in my hands but the copy on the laptop is not. Long story short i could not find my disk so i got a copy from a friend so i could keep my computer running and i forgot about it and now this.

soulfly1448 said:
Hacked copy of XP, bro. Screwed.

Yaa i know it was a hacked copy but i had not chose but to use it and keep working. Now i have genuine copy and i want my stuff off my laptop so i can load the new copy on.

can't you boot from the new version of XP pro and run the repair? If i remember correctly that will take the numbers from the new disk and replace the ones installed.

Erm, WGA is not locking out anyone. Yet.
All it does is displaying an anooying popup apparently. In fact there was much talk and noise about a possible locking out or similar in fall, but not yet. So no, it can't be WGA which locks you out.

You can always boot with a BartPE CD or a Knoppix CD to get to the data on that harddisk.

WGA is a pain in the arse; it isn't locking people out and Microsoft officially denies that day is coming, but it probably is anyway.

Goober35 said:
Yaa i know it was a hacked copy but i had not chose but to use it and keep working. Now i have genuine copy and i want my stuff off my laptop so i can load the new copy on.
So you *knew* it was an illegitimate copy, and you want our help in figuring out how to get around it?

Well, this thread will be closed soon due to the circumstances but....

My advice would be to purchase a 2.5" USB Hard Disk Enclosure and stick your laptop HDD in there. Then you can attach it to your main system and extract all your data, and install the legit copy of WinXP afterwards.

guys hes tryin to do right here. his lappy with all his stuff has a hacked xp copy. he has a gernuine copy that hed like to install, but is afraid of losing all his info/data on the lappy in the process.

can't you boot from the new version of XP pro and run the repair? If i remember correctly that will take the numbers from the new disk and replace the ones installed.

sounds good.

Call Mr Gates and ask for his assistence if you want to keep the system running !!

Exploiting Pirate Software, or discussing work arounds to use the computer is not acceptable on this forum for the obvious legal reasons... The various legal options for recovering data have been mentioned allready in this thread

As such this is over !!

** THREAD CLOSED **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back