• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G-80 taped out, Per Inquirer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats a few days old, the only thing I like about it is that it will drive the other prices down. NV will go with a unified shader just like ATI, they will just make a few more bucks in betwen with a new GPU, then a quick refresh first. Hell, ista isnt even out, and there isnt a game to use DX10 yet and wont be for some time. When there finally is do you want to find that it does 20fps? If its a good card I'd base it on its DX9 speed and price thats it.

See, now what I had heard (can't remember where tho) is that DX10 cards couldn't do DX9 and earlier because the technology was different. That there would have to be some sort of emulator used to play DX9 games.

Maybe that was just in Vista tho. I can't remember.

DX10 vid cards will play DX9 software just fine - even better than DX9 cards.

However, for DX10 hardware to run DX10 software, Vista IS required.

soulfly1448 said:
See, now what I had heard (can't remember where tho) is that DX10 cards couldn't do DX9 and earlier because the technology was different. That there would have to be some sort of emulator used to play DX9 games.

Maybe that was just in Vista tho. I can't remember.

That was an earlier rumor that even I had bought into a while ago, but from what I have been able to gather, its not so true, except in dedicated chip cards.

Yea, even MS wouldnt be stupid enough to make every existing game incompatible with a new system or graphics card. I am curious how the new DX10 based ATI cards that are unified pipes will do, as I think that is mainly a DX10 feature.

Back