• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

somehow, overclockix and my system are having a summer fling where everything works out.

well, allmost everythng.
qtpatred hangs.
before, i was getting good installs, but the kernal panick: VFS unable to mount error,... when i booted off the drive

so back to the CD - and with only a slip of the fingers and a hard reboot (shorted out my psu again) time and time again, i think i corrupted whatever is on the disk and QTparted barfs on loading. so - no drive - no install.

any suggestions?

what happens when you cfdisk /dev/hda ?

Besides, you should NOT install overclockix or any knoppix on harddisk

Knoppix has a Debian HDD install option. That's how I installed it on a spare laptop drive for a project (of course, that drive could be sacrificed as I had another Windows HDD). No problems with that drive yet.

I had that same problem; I can't recall precisely what the issue was but the earlier versions of QTParted (Knoppix 3.7) had a bug with reading NTFS (would mount the drive as read-only no matter what I did). I had to format/install as root in the console.

Knoppix Wiki said:
Hard drive install of Knoppix is not recommended for the new user and one should understand that there are problems associated with a hard drive install of Knoppix, particularly if you try to install more software or update your current software. Users are encouraged to look at a Debian ( www.debian.org ) install before trying to "install" Knoppix.

Knoppix HD install how-to

http://alsa-project.org has sound drivers.

Last edited:
Even when installing knoppix as debian, you're not getting a real debian in the end which makes that option useless.

im good on sound drivers actually, that randomly decided to start working last night.
hmmmm, cfdisk /dev/hda looks like another format utility.

meh, i think thats hung too. its been "writing the partition table" for about 10 minuets and i only gave it 8 gig with a 2 gig swap this time so it would be quick about it.....

Back