• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG....need your opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

its my birthday today :bday: and i got money from most members of my family, now i have a choice. i can either get a 2007fpw or a 3700AMD and x1800/7900gt......i cant decide on what to get. i have an asrock dual939 thats sat doing nothing (current spec is in sig) but i have a crappy relisys 17" crt with a lovely shadow down one side. what do you think i should do?

if your present card is the 6800gt in your sig, just stick with that for now and get a good monitor. there are always better video cards on the horizon, but yours should be fine for a while longer.

da_spork said:
Well, a spiffier video card won't do you much good if the monitor you're using it on is crap now will it? :p

itll do 1280x102460hz....but id prefer a nice shiny LCD :D

ive had a chat to the g/f, and i rekon im gonna order my new cpu and gpu, sell my bits and bobs then get the monitor (i get them for £264 :D:D:D:D:D).

thanks anyway.

Monitor monitor monitor.

Monitor.

:D

Or, you know, whatever. Don't get the monitor. See if I care.

the image will only be as good as the monitor can display it...doesnt matter how good the video card is but if you have a bad monitor the image will be crappy. so go for the monitor

Monitor first....then base your next v/card purchase by the size , pixel , resolution of your new monitor . ;)

No brainer IMO. Peripherals last a long time compared to components, you'll keep that LCD for a long time most likely (unless your like me and then sell it for a 2405 :p), but components become outdated quickly, peripherals not so quick. How long have 20" widescreens been out and thier still the bomb?

Am I the only one that is gonna say this? Without an updated comp, you wont be able to play games in their full glory, or at the native res on that without updating. Unless all you play is CS:S lolz.

I'd get the monitor, then save whatever money is left over for a new CPU and video card.

shard said:
Am I the only one that is gonna say this? Without an updated comp, you wont be able to play games in their full glory, or at the native res on that without updating. Unless all you play is CS:S lolz.

Well your argument has merrit, but you gotta see he's running a 6800 which is a pretty darn powerfull card. Any game out can be run at good FPS with that card, maybe not max eye candy, but definetly at a pretty decent picture and framerate.

And believe me, going from a 17" CRT to a 20" widescreen is....well I think the biggest changing experience for me in terms of hardware. It was even better than going to dual and then tri monitors.

Getting a bigger display is something you'll really appreciate. I went from 15'' to 17'' to 21'' and the bigger screen is something that you really can't live without after you've experienced it.

I went from a 17" CRT to a 24" widescreen and nearly wet myself. I literally giggled like a little girl for like 20 minutes after first getting it hooked up. (and so did my friends)

bobthemoo said:
happy birthday btw :p

thanks alot:)

well, as you can see from my sig, i got my new hardware. BUT.......i have a buyer for my 6800gt, k7n2 and 2800XP, plus a case (jeantech butterfly V1) and there gonna buy the rest of the hardware and im gonna build them a cracking pc (for what they need neway), after they pay me ill only be like £40 short of getting the 2007fpw :) i have the cash now and its very tempting to go buy it neway, but its money set aside for other stuff.

bf2 at 1280x1024 on max settings and 4xAA still looks nice on this monitor.

ill put pics up when i get it :)

ajrettke said:
Well your argument has merrit, but you gotta see he's running a 6800 which is a pretty darn powerfull card. Any game out can be run at good FPS with that card, maybe not max eye candy, but definetly at a pretty decent picture and framerate.

And believe me, going from a 17" CRT to a 20" widescreen is....well I think the biggest changing experience for me in terms of hardware. It was even better than going to dual and then tri monitors.

I just noticed it was the 2007FPW he was wanting to get, not the 2405. In that case, yeah a 6800gt can do most everything.

Back