• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fan filters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wreckwriter

My case has a series of small holes drilled into both the inner case frame (steel) and the outer plastic front cover for the intake fan. The inner "grid" is pretty large and should allow decent flow but the outer is much smaller than my intake fan and appears very restrictive.

I'm thinking to use a large holesaw to create a round unrestrictive opening in at least the plastic part, maybe the steel part too but I'm concerned about extra dust, dog hair, etc entering the case. My thinking is to put a filter and grill on there but I want to be sure I don't restrict it more than it is now.

Was considering this type filter: http://www.xoxide.com/12alfanfil.html

My main concern is restriction of flow but also my outer case cover has a bit of a curve to it. Will I be able to mold this filter to that curve or will it be rigid?

Is there a better way to increase my intake without clogging my PC with dog hair?

Thanks for any tips!

As far as I know those filters work really well so long as you have a good fan behind it. Just remember to clean it off once a week or more.

With the filter most likely being aluminum framed it will probably be really easy to mold to the front of your case.

I have the exact same filters, they do a good job of keeping out dust, without being too restrictive. They are a little flexible aswell, so mounting on a curve should be no problem.

Thanks. Any thoughts on a good way to attach them? I'm trying to come up with a way so that I don't need to remove the case front to get the filter on/off; too many little bitty screws in tight places. I was thinking maybe some aluminum channel might be attached to case front so filter could be slid in and out.

I know it would but wife has the camera at work :/

The slide idea may be limited by being able to get aluminum channel small enough to hold the filter tightly. My secondary idea is to drill holes for screws and epoxy the heads on the inside of the front piece, thereby ending up with studs sticking out on which I can use wingnuts. I don't like this as much though because of the studs sticking out the front of the case. Won't look as clean and will be a hazard to legs or dogs passing too closely.

I ordered a few filters. Once I actuall get them in hand I'll be better able to try to fabricate something.

Everyone so far has given good advice. Most don't realize the amount of dust that builds up if its uncontrolled. Honestly, you will have to either remove the front or shoot some air through the other way to actually get crap out of the way. Even with filters, you have to do a bit of maintenance, but its better doing that than having problems.

I'm determined to rig something up that will allow me to remove and replace the filter without pulling the front cover. One of my current ideas, or something else, should work. I ordered 4 filters, found them on sale for $2 each (nexfan.com if anyone is interested), so its no crisis if I booger 1 or 2 up in my efforts to come up with the perfect solution.

JBWeld is wonderful stuff :) I'm thinking though that if the filter is permanently bonded on I won't be able to get it nearly as clean as I can if I can take it out in the shop and blow it out with an air gun.

I may be able to drill holes in the front panel and just attach nuts to the inside. That should work as long as I'm careful with the attachment and I don't crank down on the screws. Since it will be small nuts I think a 2-part putty type epoxy will be easiest to work with and easiest to avoid getting any in the threaded area.

What brand of case is this and where did you get it, Maybe some of us can search it out and get pics so we know what you are working with?

I feel really stupid not being able to answer that. I've had it for several years, maybe 6, this is the third system that's been built in it. Its a tower case (full I believe), ATX, 6 5.25 bays, putty color. The only sticker on it says "R98/14358/90012" which google finds nothing about. I have no clue where I bought it. Just searched through all my old emails looking for an order confirmation or something but no go.

I just need to get some pics taken, will do so.

Epoxy the nuts to the inside like you said, but use thumb screws instead of reg. screws.

They come in a wide variety of colors!

That's a thought. I actually have some very high quality stainless thumbscrews left over from a non-pc project.

possible clue to manufacturer- the side vents are in a shape like C- (maybe more like a rounded E). There's 2 of them, next to each other, low on side panel. This design shows on the bottom as well. Does that ring any bells for anyone??

That's why I'm being careful to design a really easy mounting system, cuz I'll get lazy too. I hate the dust/dog hair buildup though....

fAlCoNNiAn said:
i used to use fan filters then i got really lazy and didnt want to change them.

and mine werent "case fans" but instead my lady's pantihoses that i cut up. worked perfectly :)

btw: synthetic_fenix amazing avatar
HAHA thanks.

wreckwriter - I agree with falcon, you can use pantyhose for filters and it works great. just stretch it over the fan and mount the fan and thats all there is to it. And i dont really know of anyone that filters their rear exaust fans.

Back