• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drilling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmt391

I'm drilling some fan holes in my case and i need some help I'm not sure what to drill with - my dad has a dremel but he said I'd be sitting for ever using one. I asked him what else he has but he's tired and says he can't look right now but i wanna knock this job out tonight so i can get the PC up and running. What i can use for drilling circles in metal?
IMG_0705.jpg

front marked off
IMG_0704.jpg

back marked off

so what can i use? My dad has a lot tools there's a good chance he'll have it.

I use dremes. It won't take terribly long, just make nice, slow, gentle sweeps. It'd take maybe 30 minutes *tops* to take that out with a dremel. Looks to be low grade aluminum, so it should take maybe 2-3 cutting wheels.

I'd go with a small hand-held reciprocating saw with a small easily maneuverable blade. Not something humongous like a large full size "SawzAll", but rather a small hand-held model.

Start by drilling a large hole in the center of your circle that's large enough to get the saw's blade through it, then have at it, & work your way to the circumference.

Be prepared for lots of shaking & vibration.

Finish off by cleaning the hole edges with a round file or deburring tool, blow or wet wipe the metal fillings away, & add some nice edging if, you so desire.

JMO

thanks guys, I used a saber saw to do the cutting, and a file/sandpaper to do the smoothing - i got the back done, and it's good. It definately doesn't look professional, it's pretty messy actually but it's smooth and I think i did a good job for a first time modder...
IMG_0727.jpg

now it's time to do the front which is a huge problem - the 3.5" pays are too close for the saber saw to cut-it would cut right into the bays.
IMG_0728.jpg

are there shorter blades for it? or other tools that would work in that situation? will i have to take the front panel off?(don't wanna do that)

Back