• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I go AM2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnY_pEr

Should I go AM2 or Stick to what I wanted in the first place...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ w/ 2x1MB Cache (Socket AM2) $399.95
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition $254.95
eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out $689.95
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 $309.95
Mushkin EM2-5300 Enhanced DDR2 SDRAM, 2GB Dual Pack (2x1GB) $209.95
OCZ 600W PowerStream SLI Ready Power Supply $239.95
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ Window, NCQ, 16MB Cache $389.95

OR

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 1MB Cache (Socket 939) $389.95
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D $159.95
eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out $689.95
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 $309.95
Mushkin EM2-5300 Enhanced DDR2 SDRAM, 2GB Dual Pack (2x1GB) $209.95
OCZ 600W PowerStream SLI Ready Power Supply $239.95
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ Window, NCQ, 16MB Cache $389.95

Which Should I do?

Also which would work better in the near future?

Im using either Memory Express or NCIX for this (Memory Express is local...)

You should wait until conroe is out to either get conroe cause it will be better, or to get cheaper AMD prices.

How much do you think the conroe will cost and I will be gaming...

Also date on release....

Mr.Guvernment said:
You should wait until conroe is out to either get conroe cause it will be better, or to get cheaper AMD prices.

/\/\/\/\/\ Seconded.

Also I can't see any reason to go socket 939 at this point...unless you're picking up 2nd hand gear for a great price.

Reverse Hyper Threading sounds promising though...personally I'm waiting to see how that pans out.

K Let me refrashe the above im getting this once the AMD Socket price is lowered on the 939's...

Now what should I do?

Go Socket 939 with the 4000+ or go newer like AM2 and get the Dual Core 4000+?

Not buying now but for future references...

SnY_pEr said:
K Let me refrashe the above im getting this once the AMD Socket price is lowered on the 939's...

Now what should I do?

Go Socket 939 with the 4000+ or go newer like AM2 and get the Dual Core 4000+?

Not buying now but for future references...

I'd still say AM2; I believe July 24th is the price drop date. Also look at either an AM2 X2 3800+ or X2 4200+...the X2 4000+ isn't supposed to have much of a price drop (because it has 1MB of cache).

I still say wait until Conroe are in real people's hands, or more of them and then choose what is better, unless you are hard done to only go AMD.
and if so then get AM2 - sure 939 may get some new CPU's but within a year or less it will be a dead socket.

Hmm It seems that AMD is the way to go with gaming...

You didnt tell me a cost of conroe yet or anything soooo it seems kinda skeptical to me that itll be out before the end of july when I am actually planning to buy the computer...

just buy the AM2. the performance may be better on Conroe, but it will not matter unless you are doing very cpu intensive 3D design. remember, software is made to run on older processors so almost any 939, AM2, PD, P4 made in the last year will run your system without many problems for another few years.

jamesgig said:
just buy the AM2. the performance may be better on Conroe, but it will not matter unless you are doing very cpu intensive 3D design. remember, software is made to run on older processors so almost any 939, AM2, PD, P4 made in the last year will run your system without many problems for another few years.

Wrong, all of the current conroe benching shows it as being better in gaming as well, and the price will be competing with current AMD prices, the lowest price conroe will be about $250, there is pricing out, and a few threads on it in the forums, i just cant be bothered to find them all right now. Best to wait and give your self some future upgrade paths, which will work with AM2, or socket 775 intel. (which is what conroe will run on)

Conroe basically will beat, or so it seems, so far, will do better then AMD can doright now.

Sure, you can run out now and buy an AM2 system, and wait for AMD's new cores and such in 2007 et cetera.

Myself, i would rather wait until conroe is out, before buying anything, i mean it is july 27th - some people are now saying as early as July 14th.

Notice how I said gaming...

How long do you think that rig would last till I would need an upgrade? Year or Two?

I am waiting as I dont have all of the money right now (About 800 of the 2000 which is coming in around next week) So ill have everything by then and wait to see how it does with the benchmarks etc. with some of the new games etc.

Are you sure the conroe wont be pushed into August cause if it is im going AM2...

SnY_pEr said:
I am waiting as I dont have all of the money right now (About 800 of the 2000 which is coming in around next week) So ill have everything by then and wait to see how it does with the benchmarks etc. with some of the new games etc.

Are you sure the conroe wont be pushed into August cause if it is im going AM2...

Um dude, i think you've perhaps missed the point.

Short and simple: wait until conroe comes out.

this doesn't mean buy conroe, it means wait till all of the market reflects the advancing intel architecture. Some AMD's will LITERALLY get 60% chopped off. If you want to stay amd, no problem. I won't argue C2D vs AM2, but you would be the smart consumer to wait for 1.5 months and get twice the performance for the price with either company.

Usually i NEVER say wait for x and y, but this is not a good time to build a rig right now. Even most AMD loyalist (as in blindly so) will tell you to wait a couple weeks

Best of luck with your build!

I am waiting till conroe comes out... Then I will decide...

How are the AM2 cores overclocking?

From reading that later you could drop an AM3 processor and the fact that memory will get better in DDR2, I would invest in AM2. You might consider OCZ or GSkill memory at 6400 (Ignore the Lats, these dimms rock). The ASUS mobo will turn out to be a solid board and excellant OCer from what I've seen of it's reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

What does'nt make sense is all the Intel fans jumping in to sell Conro when someone is clearly looking to AMD! If you go with Conroe, you still have to deal with offboard memory controller and the frontside bus eating up the io channel!

Last edited:
SnY_pEr said:
I am waiting till conroe comes out... Then I will decide...

How are the AM2 cores overclocking?

Not so much better than 939 it seems so far, we'll have to wait for the low wattage chips to see.

Conroes, on the other hand, hit 4GHz on air with better Speed/GHz ration than AM2.

So, yeah, wait. I bought my comp 2 months ago, and if I didn't need it really at that point, I would have waited. There is a good possibility you'll be able to get your hands on a solid 939 system that'll handle 2 good years of gaming dirt cheap as well, for the price of having to change mobo, RAM and CPU when you'll upgrade.

It's not a worse time to buy a comp than 6 months ago, it's just that in 2 months the $/Powa ratio will go through the roof.

All of you Conroe people get outta here this isnt a choice of buying conroe its whether I should wait for it to be released to buy an AMD system?

AM2 or S939...

Back